What does vBulletin 3 has that vBulletin 2 hasn't?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AlexndR
    • Dec 2006

What does vBulletin 3 has that vBulletin 2 hasn't?

So, what do vBulletin 3 have that vBulletin 2 haven't? If you like how vBulletin 2 works and looks, why should you then use vBulletin 3? It appears that vBulletin 2 is much smaller than the server etc.

How are they in reliability and security? I know you update old releases, but I wonder.

Why would you run vBulletin 3 over vBulletin 2 and vBulletin 2 over vBulletin 3?
  • Colin F
    • May 2004

Why would you run Windows XP instead of Windows ME?
    Best Regards
    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• AlexndR
      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Colin F
      Well, of course it has more features, but what features?

Comment

• Colin F
        • May 2004

Too many to count.

Have a look through the Announcements forum.
        Best Regards
        Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• AlexndR
          • Dec 2006

Too many to count.

Have a look through the Announcements forum.
          Okey, does vBulletin 2 have a karma/rating system?

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

No, not really.

Comment

• AlexndR
              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Zachery
              No, not really.
              Alright. I still see some people using vBulletin 2. Wonder why.

Comment

• Mayers
                • Jul 2004
                • 3.6.x

Originally posted by AlexndR
                Alright. I still see some people using vBulletin 2. Wonder why.
                If you still see sites running vB 2.x it's for a few different reasons.

1. They have so many hacks that it would be harder to upgrade then to just stay on vB 2.x.

2. Due to tech reasons they are unable to upgrade to vB 3.x. For some sites with a ton of boards they end up breaking on 3.x.

3. The admin likes 2.x better then 3.x.
                Student Zone - A community for students

Comment

• Quillz
                  • Nov 2004
                  • 5.0.X

I believe it was stated by Kier at some point that vB2 is still recommended for some large boards that lack some physical architecture to use vB3, and the lack of proper design will be remedied in vB4. (I wish I could find where this post was made, because I'm sure I made a terrible misquote.)
                  Forums

Comment

• RoryF
                    • Apr 2005

I'm sorry Colin F; i know you gave support in this thread, but the way you said it, the personality with it, and even with it - the lack of support you gave was not up to the average standard here.

You could of least made a basic list of the advantages of vBulletin 3 to vBulletin 2 instead of doing some ironic remark about 2 different versions of Windows. Or at least gave a link to a thread in the announcements - that's being friendly. Not make the customer search for themselves, that is the basics of kindness.

Kudos to Mayers and Quillz who actually gave time to a response and not blunt answers.

I barely come on vBulletin but this thread had to make me login and say something about this.

Disappointed.
                    Negative impression.

Comment

• ---MAD---
                      • Jun 2005
                      • 3.8.x

I think its related to server performance as well (like a few said above).

Its not features that some boards want its more performance and stability.

Comment

• Zachery
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by RoryF
                        I'm sorry Colin F; i know you gave support in this thread, but the way you said it, the personality with it, and even with it - the lack of support you gave was not up to the average standard here.

You could of least made a basic list of the advantages of vBulletin 3 to vBulletin 2 instead of doing some ironic remark about 2 different versions of Windows. Or at least gave a link to a thread in the announcements - that's being friendly. Not make the customer search for themselves, that is the basics of kindness.

Kudos to Mayers and Quillz who actually gave time to a response and not blunt answers.

I barely come on vBulletin but this thread had to make me login and say something about this.

Disappointed.
                        Negative impression.
                        Rory, I'm sorry to hear you're disapointed, but the numerous ammount of new features between 2.2/2.3 serrioes and 3.0 took serveral posts over a few months to compile originally, the difference between 3.0 and 3.5 was the same, 3.5 to 3.6 was smaller but still lots of changes. A compiled list of the differences in 2.x to 3.6 would be a massive list and a small list would be an understatement of the feature change between the two.

Comment

• Denyer
                          • Apr 2005

Stability rather than one being newer than the other -- in this particular case, NT wins (though older distributions than XP are still widely used.)

vB2 is a smaller and less complex codebase; it doesn't do as much but has been well-scrutinised.

vB3 has new features being added on an ongoing basis, and thus has a rapid release/patch schedule.
                          Last edited by Denyer; Fri 12 Jan '07, 12:47pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...