will a clean reinstall of VB affect the board?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • daveman
    • Mar 2001

will a clean reinstall of VB affect the board?

Hi there,

I would like to perform a complete reinstallation of VB so that I can start fresh. My concern is that the board that I now have running will be affected. If I reainstall, will the structure of the forums remain? Will I lose data? Is it worth doing this?

Some of the reasons why I want to do this includes: I do not have VB Code options when posting new threads (I have no idea why) and my upload do not work. I want to try a clean install to see if these problems coul dbe remedied.

Thanks

Dave

[email protected]
    David Kurzman - Webmaster
    direct e-mail: [email protected]
    http://www.Pets.ca
    Pet information center for dogs, cats and humans.
  • daveman
    • Mar 2001

followup

To followup,

I tried reinstalling on a dummy board and I get the following error

The script reported errors in the installation of the tables. Only continue if you are sure that they are not serious.

The errors were:

Error number: 1061

Error description: Duplicate key name 'title'

When I click on NEXT,

I get the following

There seems to have been a slight problem with the database. Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

What do i do now????

Comment

• Mike Sullivan
      Former vBulletin Developer
      • Apr 2000
      • 3.6.x

If you're reinstalling, you will have to wipe the db clean first (or at least remove all vB tables). There is an option in the install to do this. Doing that would inherantly effect all your data (it'd remove it).

Comment

• daveman
        • Mar 2001

so...

So what then is the best way to ensure that all templates are running the most current version?

For one, i do not have the VB code section when posting and I woul dlike this option.

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
          • May 2000
          • 1.1.x

Re: so...

Originally posted by pets.ca
          So what then is the best way to ensure that all templates are running the most current version?

For one, i do not have the VB code section when posting and I woul dlike this option.
          Well first go to your user profile and make sure the option is enabled for yourself.

Comment

• Mike Sullivan
            • Apr 2000
            • 3.6.x

Originally posted by s.molinari
            Why is the option in the script if it is not possible to carry out?
            That option is for if you have other programs in the db and don't want to wipe them out before the first install. The other is generally for a clean reinstall.

If you don't want to do a clean reinstall, why would you be running the install script anyway?

Comment

• Mike Sullivan
              • Apr 2000
              • 3.6.x

That option doesn't work so doesn't serve any purpose. And your idea is great, but it still doesn't work.
              How exactly does that option not work? It wasn't designed for "half reinstalling", so if you're trying to say it doesn't work for that, then yes, we all know that. It works for what it was designed to do.

What about when someone is having probs with the board. i.e. Templates and settings are screwed up even the defaults are canny.
              You just reimport the templates -- I happen to know of at least 12 places where you can do that.

If your settings are screwed up, that really isn't just cause to run the WHOLE install script anyway -- install.php?step=8 will reset them to the defaults. (Although at this point you'll have to empty the setting/settinggroup tables)

If the option worked it would save alot of time restoring. Also, if the user has the board running in english and wishes to change to a DIFFERENT LANGUAGE VERSION which I'm sure you guys or others are working on, then this option would be perfect for the change.
              See above. Just import the default templates via the CP.

(I apologize if this is sounding rude at all -- it's not meant to be)

Comment

• daveman
                • Mar 2001

new install

Personally, I do not understand why it can not be set up to perform a clean install while maintaining the integrity of the data.

Comment

• daveman
                  • Mar 2001

Re: Re: new install

Personally, I do not understand why it can not be set up to perform a clean install while maintaining the integrity of the data.

What Data?

Scott
                  I mean by data all of the posts in the bulletin board that is saved in the sql file

Comment

• tubedogg
                    • Feb 2001

The install doesn't work when it detects the dB is existent(with vB already installed) and you select the first option in step 3.
                    That's exactly how it's supposed to work. But I can sort of understand what you're saying.

Comment

• Zulander
                      • Apr 2008
                      • 3.7.x

Upgrade and Reinstall Hell

I am new to VB and I have a problem when I upgraded from 3.6.10 to 3.7.0. Zachary has been trying to asynchronously help me but since there is a 10 hour time difference between us I was hoping to speed things up a bit.

I have a vB forum with a blog and photopost gallery installed. Everything was going well until the upgrade. As far as I could tell the upgrade to 3.7.0 went smoothly even though it was a long process going from all the beta versions and release candidates to reach the final stage. During the final stage I got to the login screen but after that the page was white. Nothing on the forum worked anymore. I tried using tools.php and everything there seems to work - no errors. I even transferred the old config.php info over to the new config.php

No changes have been made to my server (httpd or mysql or php). These are all the latest versions.

I have tried multiple uploads and re-upgrading and have the same problem again and again. I myself, have been considering doing a clean re-install as discussed here so I wonder if the process described here would actually work:
                      1.) backup the current database (done)
                      2.) do a clean install (essentially deleting all data?)
                      3.) reload the data from the backup database.

I need a solution since I put about 2 weeks of work into building the site to make it a community and I hate to do all that work again and try to ask the people to re-register.

Zachary seems to be doing the best he can in spite of the time differences so I ask for the gurus here, who might be in a European time zone to see if anyone has any ideas of what actions I can take (details please) of what I can do.

Thanks,
                      -Z (a.k.a. Ed)

Comment

• Steve Machol
                        Former Customer Support Manager
                        • Jul 2000

Please post in the correct forum. Thank you.
                        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...