X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

How do I ban multiple 'yahoo.com.xx' addresses

I thought that by banning 'yahoo.com' email addresses that this would ban all email addresses with 'yahoo.com' in them. However this appears to not be the case. I just had someone successfully register and spam my forums using a 'yahoo.com.cn' address.

Is there a way to ban all yahoo addresses without having to enter each country code?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

• jojo85
    • Jan 2001

Re: How do I ban multiple 'yahoo.com.xx' addresses

Originally posted by smachol
    I thought that by banning 'yahoo.com' email addresses that this would ban all email addresses with 'yahoo.com' in them. However this appears to not be the case. I just had someone successfully register and spam my forums using a 'yahoo.com.cn' address.

Is there a way to ban all yahoo addresses without having to enter each country code?
    Mouarf........i don't think than the vbulletin devellopers know that...

Comment

• tubedogg
      • Feb 2001

Re: How do I ban multiple 'yahoo.com.xx' addresses

Originally posted by smachol
      No because technically yahoo.com and yahoo.com.cn are two different domains. If it was done the way you suggest, then banning mybusiness.com would also ban mybusiness.com.cn even if they are owned by two different companies in two different countries. The face that Yahoo! owns both of them in this case is a coincidence of sorts.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

So? That's exactly the way I want it to work. The censor filter allows us to ban certain character strings, whether they stand as a word or within a word. Why couldn't the email ban be modified to do the same thing?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• tubedogg
          • Feb 2001

If I want to ban mail.com, should mail.com.cn (which is not owned by the same people as mail.com) be penalized for this?

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

Originally posted by tubedogg
            If I want to ban mail.com, should mail.com.cn (which is not owned by the same people as mail.com) be penalized for this?
            Shouldn't that be my choice? My choice is to ban every email address with 'yahoo' in it.

As I said, the censor option gives us the choice of banning a word, or a character string within a word. I still don't understand why I shouldn't have the same option in banning email addresses.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...