Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marek
    • Sep 2000

Problems with logging in

I just got two emails from people who can't seem to log in.

The first person got the "not logged in" message when trying to post, but he was definately logged in. The other got the "not logged in" message after trying to alter his profile.

They both tell me they got the "Thank you for logging in" message. At the bottom of the main forum page it's got their user name in the "Currently active users" bit, but down on the right it's got the username/password controls for logging in.

What could be wrong? Could this have something to do with importing accounts from other forums (I doubt it)

Please help me out. I moved to vBulletin cause I was getting sick of these emails with my freeware forum.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

This is one of two things....

1. The end-user's cookies got corrupted somehow. This happens and they won't be the first. They will have to delete all instances of it off their computers and log in again.

2. The board is setup incorrectly. The cookie domain option should be empty and the cookie path option should be set to /.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Blind Fool
      • May 2001
      • 3.6.x

About four of my users have the same problem, I have asked them to delete their cookies which they did, and I checked the cookie path option and it is correct.

However the still get the "Not logged in" error.

The only solution I have so far is to disable cookies for these users, but that is not very useful for them.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

The Blind Fool
      sigpic

Comment

• marek
        • Sep 2000

My settings are right.

I told the users to delete their cookies and try again. This is what I got:

"It just takes me to the "You don't have permission or are not logged in" page if I click "post reply". I found that if I close down Explorer and manually delete my cookies, I can log in and it won't ask for login details at the bottom-right of the main forum page - but it still won't let me do anything. But I just returned to the main page and the "log in" controls were back."

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

Are you sure that they are in the registered users group?

p.s. You cannot delete cookies when Internet Explorer is running. It loads all cookies into memory and rewrites them when it closes. The best way to do it is from a command line without loading the GUI at all.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...