New Install, New server, Upgrading from UBB- Can i cheat?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scatpack
    • May 2001

New Install, New server, Upgrading from UBB- Can i cheat?

I should know better than to combine too many "new" into one day.

I have a new host. So I installed VB there. Old host has UBB board. I want to upgrade/import from my old UBB into my new VB2.0 board but can't use "http://www.myhost.com/ubb" as a path (im guessin cause it can only import from within its own site, correct?"

Do i need to move my entire UBB board to the new server and THEN import into VB2.o? And once thats done, can I totally delete the UBB board, or does it use the files later? I like to run a clean ship

The UBB board is like 40mgs thats why i ask. I hate to have to move it from MyOldhost to -> my computer -> new host. Thats about 3 hrs work on a T1

Thanks!
  • Chris Schreiber
    • Jun 2000
    • 4.0.x

If you have telnet access to both hosts, you can easily transfer everyone in a few commands... just tar and zip up your UBB directories, and FTP them directly to the new host.

Comment

• scatpack
      • May 2001

EEK! Telnet!

My newhost uses secure Telnet and I can never seem to get it to work right on my Mac here at work. Hmm...

Comment

• Mike Sullivan
        Former vBulletin Developer
        • Apr 2000
        • 3.6.x

You can't read the UBB's CGI files over the web (you shouldn't be able to!), so the vB and UBB will have to be on the same host.

Comment

• scatpack
          • May 2001

Figgered. Ill move it manually.

Can i delete the UBB folder and all the 'crap' in the cgi-bin after im done Importing?

Comment

• Chris Schreiber
            • Jun 2000
            • 4.0.x

Originally posted by scatpack
            Can i delete the UBB folder and all the 'crap' in the cgi-bin after im done Importing?
            Yes, after you're happy with the import results, you can delete all of those UBB files.

Comment

• BluSmurf
              • May 2001

try putty

try using putty.exe (telnet version of crt), i think they have a mac version

Comment

• Crumm
                • May 2001

Don't be so quick to delete the UBB files, I found out that after the import, any imported similies and graphics, are linked in the templates to the old UBB folders

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...