Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • netspark
    • Mar 2001

Title search

I guess the new feature to search "titles only" will only search thread titles? and not forum titles?

I was hoping to have forums on my investment website for different stocks. Each forum would be titled with stock symbols.. "MSFT" "IBM" "DELL" etc... and I was hoping the new search feature would allow a user to search for "MSFT" and bring up the Microsoft forum... but I guess this won't work because the search is only searching thread titles?

Am I correct about this? I was really hoping the search would be more advanced. This is sort of disappointing.

Does this mean my only way around this would be to create a forum called "stocks" and post threads to this forum with titles "MSFT" "IBM" "DELL"
  • JamesUS
    • Aug 2000

Correct - it will only search thread titles.

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
      Former vBulletin Developer
      • May 2000
      • 1.1.x

Respectfully there is no reason we would make the forum search for words that are in the title of a forum. Example : If I was to search for vbulletin then the search should pull up every thread that is in a forum that has vbulletin as part of it's title? That would bring back nearly every thread on this forum and serves no point in returning relevant information.

If you specify in title searches it is going to only search the title that is given when a thread is started.

Comment

• JWS
        • Aug 2000

Maybe I'm confused.... If they want MSFT information, can't they just GO to the MSFT forum?

If they want to search that forum, they can select ONLY the MSFT forum in the search options.

Why don't you fashion some sort of drop down that users can select a forum title from?

I don't think that searching a forum title (as someone said to one of your other posts about this) is a common thing to want to do, so I don't know if I'd call the searching 'disappointing' as a result of this non-feature.

Originally posted by netspark
        I guess the new feature to search "titles only" will only search thread titles? and not forum titles?

I was hoping to have forums on my investment website for different stocks. Each forum would be titled with stock symbols.. "MSFT" "IBM" "DELL" etc... and I was hoping the new search feature would allow a user to search for "MSFT" and bring up the Microsoft forum... but I guess this won't work because the search is only searching thread titles?

Am I correct about this? I was really hoping the search would be more advanced. This is sort of disappointing.

Does this mean my only way around this would be to create a forum called "stocks" and post threads to this forum with titles "MSFT" "IBM" "DELL"
        Jamie Sandford, editor
        Maxima.org,
        "The Home for Maxima Enthusiasts"
        http://www.maxima.org
        ------------------------------------------

Rolling backup shell script (v2.0)
        Code to fix error when creating custom profile fields (v2.0b2)
        Code to make a bargraph rating instead of stars (v2.0b2)

Comment

• netspark
          • Mar 2001

JWS

Most investment websites allow searches by stock symbol that will take you to the forum. (ie, ragingbull.com, siliconinvestor.com) The problem is that there will be hundreds of stock symbols that I don't want to list on my main page. I just wanted to make forums that are not visible... the only way you could get to them is by entering the stock symbol into the search box. It makes sense to not search forum titles if you've only got 10-20 titles, but what if you have 1,000's, then it becomes important.. I guess vBulletin isn't geared around what I'm trying to do.. I'll have to find ways around it..

Thanks for the input everyone.

Comment

• netspark
            • Mar 2001

In other words, go here:
            http://www.ragingbull.com and type IBM into the "enter symbol" box on the left... it takes you right to the IBM Forum because 'IBM' is in the Forum title.. vBulletin will not allow me to do this...
            or will it?

Comment

• Mike Sullivan
              • Apr 2000
              • 3.6.x

Unless we see there's large demand for it, if you absolutely need it, you'll have to hack it in.

Comment

• netspark
                • Mar 2001

Thanks for your response Ed..

Maybe somebody can give me a little advice on how I would go about hacking this feature? Right now at my site:

the search on the left column searches the thread titles only.. What would I need to do to hack this to search the forum titles only? Is it possible? Is it feasible?

Any advice would be appreciated. The entire functionality of my site will depend on how a user searches and navigates the different stock forums..

Thanks for any advice out there!

Comment

• Mike Sullivan
                  • Apr 2000
                  • 3.6.x

I wouldn't recommend trying to use the current search to do it -- write your own little script, it shouldn't be too hard.

This is a query you'll want to take advantage of (to do the searching):
                  SELECT * FROM forum WHERE title LIKE '%symbol searched for%'

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                    • Aug 2000

You can use a service like Atomz Search to do that.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• netspark
                      • Mar 2001

thanks guys!!
                      I'll give those both a try to see what will work...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...