Posts duplicating content within actual message...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • f150guy
    • Apr 2000

Posts duplicating content within actual message...

Ok, here is a very strange problem that has now popped up for a 2nd time on our forums. I was wondering if anyone has experienced something similar and, if so, what was the solution.

The user will type very standard looking content, in this instance:
    Howdy, well, I've had my 04 FX4 Scab since August and never would have guessed that I would have to bring in my truck for this! More of a rant, but maybe the following story will help an owner in the future diagnose a problem before having your new truck in the shop for over a week!

I just reloceated up to Vermont from Florida(by momentary lapse in sanity) and had been using 4HI every once and while on road. However, the truck puilled like crazy to the right -- so bad that I felt safer driving in 2WD in snow. It would grind to a stop, and make noise like crazy when turning. I thought it was my mud tires but switched back to stock for the winter...still the same problem. Then, my ABS light kept coming on, disabling the ABS when it did, and thus making quick stops a bit scary in a new truck! Pissed, I headed to the dealer to check on it (as well as some other warranty issues that needed to be addressed).

At first, it was assumed that the wheel speed sensor needed to be replaced. Then it was thought that some re-wiring/computer diagnosis needed to be done on the ABS system. Then it was a new front half shaft, which they ordered the wrong one at first...then ordered some attachment piece for the wrong side! Still not fixed, they decided to check one other thing: the gearing in the rear end and in the front end. And what did they find?

3.73 in the front....3.55 in the rear. FROM THE FACTORY.

They couldn't even find the factory specs of my truck in the computer and had to call the dealer in FL to fax over my original spec sheet to whether to replace the 3.55 or 3.73. (I knew the truck spec'd with 3.55 LS, but was hoping they would just swap the rear to 3.73). After 10 days of being stuck in a crap FOCUS (no power anything!)...and after half my drivetrain ripped apart at 10K miles, I had the correct gears up front. Tranny shifts felt different, but I assume they reprogrammed or reset something.

What's even worse -- I brought this to my dealer in FLORIDA before I left for the exact same symptoms at 5K. They replaced a wheel speed sensor and told me the tech drove it and making quick stops a bit scary in a new truck! Pissed, I headed to the dealer to check on it (as well as some other warranty issues that needed to be addressed).

Other things repaired in the warranty trip:
    -Leaky back window (non-sliding), fixed by new gasket on high mount stop light
    -Brake pulsation up front, fixed with new rotors and pads
    -New ABS sensor

Couldn't duplicate:
    -Dash rattles
    -P/S pump whining after starting when cold (-10)
    -Vent flaps whine when moving when cold

I'm glad the dealer up here (Heritage Ford of Burlington) was helpful and on the ball for the problem...gvien all this though, I was hoping they'd at least offer to wash my truck.

Now I feel so much better cruising down back roads up here in the snow... but still have a leaky tire needing fixing, dash rattles every now and then, P/S pump noise, etc.

--Adam
    2004 F-150 FX4 Supercab
    Daystar level kit, 33" Procomp Mud Terrains on 17" Pro Comp Xtremes (stock rims/tires for winter)

However, when the post actual appears, there is duplicate information from the original text. An exact example using this text can be found at http://www.f150online.com/forums/sho...hreadid=183277 Note the duplication of post content.

I can actually copy/paste the content quoted above, the way the post is supposed to appear, in a brand new thread and the same duplication occurs.

Has anyone seen this before? The is very random, but can be replicated, in the sense that when it happens to one of our users, I can copy/paste the text and see it happen again.

I was told a while back that it may be due to our use of Javascript in our headers and footers, but similar behavior is exhibited when I try to update our headers and footers via the control panel!

Please, please, please I am at the end of my rope. I've run repair.php and no problems are found. Could it be our version of PHP? Corrupt memory? (our server does not show memory problems)
    Steve

F150online Forums - 92,000 users strong and growing!
    Ownersite.com - comprehensive preventive maintenance reminder & expense tracking system for the conscientious vehicle owner.

• Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

I've seen one other report like this and the problem went away after turning off similar thread search and display. Cab you try that to see if this fixes this problem? It's not a solution obviously, but it will help troubleshoot the issue.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• f150guy
      • Apr 2000

Ok, one of my users just did some testing. It appears that if a post exceeds 2000 characters, content become fubar'ed and duplicated.

With that in mind, I lowered to maximum number of characters allowed to 2000, figuring that would be a short-term fix.

Nope.

I created a post that is 1953 characters long w/spaces, according to MS Word. According the vBulletin when clicking on "check message length" it is 1951 characters long. Good.

However, when I submit the post, I get the error message:

The text that you have entered is too long. Please shorten it to 2000 characters long.

Can someone reconcile this problem for me?
      Steve

Ownersite.com - comprehensive preventive maintenance reminder & expense tracking system for the conscientious vehicle owner.

Comment

• f150guy
        • Apr 2000

Steve, we don't have that functionality in 2.3.6...
        Steve

Comment

• Steve Machol
          Former Customer Support Manager
          • Jul 2000

Sorry about the version. So few people use vB2 anymore and ask for help.

MS Word has a lot of hidden HTML. When you copy-n-paste from that application, you are adding a whole of of stuff you can't see. Copy this to Notepad first, then recopy it from Notepad to vB.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• f150guy
            • Apr 2000

No problem, Steve. I understand.

I actually tried copy/paste using notepad, word as rtf, word as doc and copy/paste literally from this thread and got the same exact result.

I just "blanked" my style to the default to see if it might be a Javascript issue and it is not. Even with the completely default blank style, I have the same problem.

Back in January 2004 we experienced the same problem and you were at a loss for a fix, but you did rule out our templates as the issue.
            Steve

Comment