Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Devi0s
    • Nov 2003

Slight problem with the database error

I am getting the dreaded slight problem with the database error we all know and love so much. This is a private, offline site, so I can't provide the URL, but I can provide the results of my troubleshooting and maybe someone can help me from there.

First of all, I went into mysql and did "REPAIR TABLE ______;" for each of the tables in the database, and checked that all of the config.php variables are correct and are sufficient to provide full access to the database. There are no errors reported in /var/log/mysql.log

1) The main page of my site does NOT work and produces only the database error.

2) The admin control panel main page DOES work.

3) In the admin control panel, VBulletin Options DOES work, and the site is online.

4) In the admin control panel, if I click the announcements add or modify links, I can see a list of all the forums and threads, confirming that vbulletin can at least parse the forums table.

5) In the admin control panel, the forums and moderators:add link DOES work, but the forums and moderators:modify and forums and moderatorsermissions links do NOT work.

6) the forums and moderators:modify link shows only the error, whereas the forums and moderatorsermissions link shows the title of only the first forum (of about 15) THEN shows the error.

7) In the admin control panel, the search for posts and search for users utilities work. I can even show the usercp for a user, which is weird because the main index page of the forums does NOT work, while the user control panel, and find all posts by this user links work and will generate the search results using the forum template. Administrative user profile modification admin pages also work.

8) Also, in the admincp, all combo boxes that have a listing of all the forums and topics are populated correctly and fully.

9) In admincp, new thread moderation and new user authorization works.

What is the likely source of my error? Are there more tests you all could suggest to narrow the problem further?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
    Last edited by Devi0s; Thu 30 Dec '04, 5:34am. Reason: Disable smilies
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

Right click, view source, paste the whole error message here.

Comment

• Devi0s
      • Nov 2003

HA! I didn't know....

That the more detailed error message was commented out in the page sources! Thanks - the moderator table was missing. (Copied from server to server). DOH!

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

Glad you got things working

Comment

• Devi0s
          • Nov 2003

More Details and a Suggestion

The moderator.MYD file was a zero-size file, and therefore did not come over in the copy from server to server. moderator.MYI and moderator.FRM were there.

I simply had to...

touch moderator.MYD
          chown mysql moderator.MYD

...to make everything work again.

It seems that VBulletin should be able to do this for me in the event of a missing table?

Comment