Upgrade from UBB5.45c to vB2... few questions.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TooHectic
    • Mar 2001

Upgrade from UBB5.45c to vB2... few questions.

Hello.... new here. Just a few questions for you guys.

Anyway, I'm currently running UBBv5.45c on my server and I'm contemplating between an upgrade to UBBv6 or vB 2.0. I read a few posts below, so I realize a UBBv6 import is not available, but there is a UBBv5.X import right? My UBB board has a few hacks installed, so how will that affect the upgrade to vB 2.0?

Any advice/tips on making the transition as easy as possible are appreciated. My UBB License is still valid, so I'm willing to dish out the extra money for vB 2 if it's worth it. Any recommendations?
    www.guardimpact.com - the legend will never die!
  • doron
    • Apr 2000

hacks should not cause any troubles. A ubb6->vB2 will come out once vB goes gold probably.

Comment

• Trog
      • Feb 2001

I moved from UBB to vB and to be honest, it was the best thing I ever did. vB leaves UBB in a trail of dust as far as features is concerned, well as far as everything is concerned really. I used the import feature and it worked a charm. Hacks are no problem because it pulls in members from your members file and also the threads/posts so it really doesn't matter. As for ease of use, the admin area is a dream, allowing you to do more with your members than UBB could ever do. My advise is switch. My members are glad I did, not only for all the extra features but also speed.

Comment

• tubedogg
        • Feb 2001

When importing from a UBB v5, it reads your member files and all the HTML/forum/thread files in the "ForumX" directories (where X is the number of the forum). It does *not* read any of the CGI files in the main CGI directory (the only exception is the files under the "Members" directory), and that's where UBB hacks are, so they are never even crossed by the import utitility. It also does not read any styles or layouts.

That being said, SWITCH! Set it up on your server, get everything the way you want it (i.e. layout, options, hacks, etc.), then close your UBB, import your UBB files, and open the vB, leaving a redirect where the UBB was.

Comment

• grumpy
          • Feb 2001

I converted my UBB to vB a few weeks ago. I had over 11,000 members, and all moved flawlessly. I pruned back my forum to about 12,000 posts before transferring the forums. Run all the usual ubb maintenance routines, then make a backup of your ubb, just in case. I had no problems at all, though, it was surprisingly simple.

Comment

• tubedogg
            • Feb 2001

While it can't hurt to make a backup of the UBB files, as long as the UBB you are importing from is closed, it won't hurt it - vB only *reads* the files, it doesn't modify them or write to them.

Comment

• jojo85
              • Jan 2001

Originally posted by TooHectic
              Hello.... new here. Just a few questions for you guys.

Anyway, I'm currently running UBBv5.45c on my server and I'm contemplating between an upgrade to UBBv6 or vB 2.0. I read a few posts below, so I realize a UBBv6 import is not available, but there is a UBBv5.X import right? My UBB board has a few hacks installed, so how will that affect the upgrade to vB 2.0?

Any advice/tips on making the transition as easy as possible are appreciated. My UBB License is still valid, so I'm willing to dish out the extra money for vB 2 if it's worth it. Any recommendations?
              The upgrade script work very very nice

Comment

• TooHectic
                • Mar 2001

Cool... thanks for all the info guys. I think I'll be going to vB some time soon.

BTW.. are there any major bugs in beta 3 that I should be advised to wait until the next beta release. Or is it pretty stable and worthwhile as it stands?

Thanks.

Comment

• jojo85
                  • Jan 2001

Cool... thanks for all the info guys. I think I'll be going to vB some time soon.

BTW.. are there any major bugs in beta 3 that I should be advised to wait until the next beta release. Or is it pretty stable and worthwhile as it stands?

Thanks.
                  For the moment,the biggest problems is with the custom user titles i think.......For the rest,it's little bug i think

Comment

• JamesUS
                    • Aug 2000

You can see all of the bugs over in the vb 2 bugs forum - there is a sticky thread with a list. Fixes are provided for most in case you can't wait for the release.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                      • Dec 2000
                      • 3.6.x

my beta 3 performs wonderfully.

FYI: I switched from UBB 5.45c (your exact version) using vB's import script and it worked beautifully except that in one forum it duplicated all the threads. But I think it's because I hit the back button during the import process and it went back to a page where it was importing the treads and did it again or something. So I just nuked that forum and reimported that specific forum. Worked great!

Comment

• Castel
                        • Jun 2000

Thanks.
                        Hey TooHectic..sup. You know my UBB was hacked up like a mofo and I had ZERO problems with the import. Just add a few of the known bugfixes listed in the Bug Report forum and you should be ready to go. Running vB now for almost a week and no serious problems to report.

vB is sweet, all the hacks you have now are probably already included (I only had to add Galaga shields), Forum is much faster, takes up way less server resources and is much much smaller. UBB was about 650Megs and vB after import was barely 150Megs.

Comment

• TooHectic
                          • Mar 2001

Thanks Castel....

Yea... I was gonna go to UBBv6, but I know it has a problem importing old UBB versions with a buncha hacks. Then I saw your new forum with all the crazy new stuff, and man was I impressed. vB rocks over UBB. No more worries about updating to the latest version since the standard version includes all of the cool hacks anyway. The standard UBBv6 doesn't have sh*t. Heck..... UBB is even a ripoff now. Plus the size issue is definately a plus. I hate having to prune all the messages in the "chit chat" area. Oh well.

Anyway, that's pretty much the only reason why I haven't really added anything new to GI's forums.... since I wanted the transistion to the new forum software to be easy as possible. (Since I was originally planning to go to UBBv6. I didn't want to add any new hacks that I would have to remove for UBBv6.) So it looks like vB is the one I'll be using now.

Thanks again.... See ya.

Comment

• jojo85
                            • Jan 2001

Thanks Castel....

vB rocks over UBB. No more worries about updating to the latest version since the standard version includes all of the cool hacks anyway. The standard UBBv6 doesn't have sh*t.

Thanks again.... See ya.

Like this words niak niak niak

Good choice guy

Comment

• TooHectic
                              • Mar 2001

hehe...

Yep.... everytime I visit the UBB boards at www.ubbdev.com , I always see someone trying to make a hack for vB standard features such as the Calendar hack, Anchor hack, Birthday hack, Avatar Hack, etc. etc.

When ever you want to upgrade your UBB..... you have a lot of work to do. That's the main reason why I have never really taken the time to upgrade my current UBB board.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...