Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Overgrow
    • May 2000

How does PMPopup work?

This is something I've been meaning to hack into 1.x for a while. Can a kind 2.0 user tell me how it works?

It has to be something in the global.php right? It can't possibly add a PM query to check for new PMs everytime global is loaded, right? Maybe it does?

The only other way I could figure... is that it has a separate table that contains a list of members with unread messages then in the global it checks to see if you're on the list, if you are then it pops up the box.

any help?

p.s. I don't consider this stealing from jelsoft.. I don't want the code, just the theory. In no way is getting this, or even not getting this, going to change my mind about purchasing 2.0.. I'm just not interested as the conversion would be too much work for not enough gain. I'd rather hack in what I want to my custom VB, plus I will release this for any other 1.x'ers that want it.
    vB Retro -> See vBulletin 1.1.2 and travel back to the Year 2000!
    Overgrow the Government: The Edge Forums
    presented by Overgrow Marijuana Magazine

*warning: adult content since vB1.1... now faster than ever!
  • Overgrow
    • May 2000

OK just typing out the question has helped me think it through. The best way would be to have a separate table... "pmpopup" lets call it.

Because there is no read/unread flag on PMs, it only goes by timestamp and lastvisitdate, if it queried the PM table to pop up a box, it would always be popping it up if it were "new" whether you had already read it or not....

sooo.. it must have a separate table. When someone writes a new PM, it checks the recipient's PMPOPUP variable. If it is ON then it will make an entry into the PMPOPUP table. Then in the global.php, if you are logged in, it checks to see if your userid is in PMPOPUP and if it is, it alerts you and removes your name from the table.

viola... PMPOPs on 1.x. Hack coming out in 25 minutes ..? hehe lets time it...

Comment

• Overgrow
      • May 2000

OK the PM Popup hack for 1.x is done.

Mods can delete this thread if they wish.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...