Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mistafro
    • Mar 2001

Guestbook???

Hey everyone, I was wondering if a VBulletin guestbook has been created. I heard this can be done with templates on the vbulletin, has anyone created a template?

Infopop is taking way too long to re-release their's!
  • mistafro
    • Mar 2001

Nobody knows?????

Comment

• Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      • Jul 2000

I've been waiting for the UBB Guestbook for almost a year now. I don't think Mark will ever finish it.

However a thought just occurred to me - why not convert one of the forums to a Guestbook? I think I'll test this out on my board.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
        Former vBulletin Developer
        • May 2000
        • 1.1.x

Someone please explain the point of a "guestbook" and how it is supposed to function with a forum.

Comment

• Steve Machol
          • Jul 2000

Originally posted by freddie
          Someone please explain the point of a "guestbook" and how it is supposed to function with a forum.
          Your question is exactly why I'm thinking of just making a forum called 'Guestbook' or something similar. The only point of a guestbook that I can think of is to introduce yourself to others on the Board. This can be easily accomplished by having an 'Introduction' forum (I like that better than Guestbook'.)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• JonnyQuest
            • Apr 2000

I would like to see someone make a hack where each users profile had a guestbook. This would allow for further communication between members - just the point of a community. People could ask other members more specific, personal questions/polls, etc.
            I would love to see it!

Comment

• JimF
              • May 2000

Originally posted by JonnyQuest
              I would like to see someone make a hack where each users profile had a guestbook. This would allow for further communication between members - just the point of a community. People could ask other members more specific, personal questions/polls, etc.
              I would love to see it!
              It's called Private Messaging

-jim

Comment

• JonnyQuest
                • Apr 2000

Private messaging is different - it's private.
                This is a private forum. Where a user can post any off-topic, spam like material you could ask form. It would allow a user to add more personality to his profile.
                For example, he could start a thread in his guestbook that says: I love the Backstreet Boys new album. Do you? And then people could give their feedback to it. It's not that different from a regular forum, except there's not a huge flow of messages in it pushing your post off the page and you don't have to be on topic.
                I think it would be a huge hit. It is on sites such as Bolt.com that are only a community. I would venture that people will put a message in their sig saying: check out my guestbook, and that people will flirt in each others guestbook.

Comment

• mistafro
                  • Mar 2001

I just want to have a guestbook for my website, it's not mean't to interact or be a part of the Vbulletin board.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    • Jul 2000

Originally posted by mistafro
                    I just want to have a guestbook for my website, it's not mean't to interact or be a part of the Vbulletin board.
                    If that's the case, then there are plenty of Guestbook scripts out there. Just use one.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Jose
                      • Feb 2001

I had the same idea

I had the same idea. I was thinking, and was going to post a question on this
                      board asking the makers/creators of Vbulletin to make a mysql php version of
                      a guest book. I know its a little too much power for just a guest book, but
                      I like the elegance and possibilities that vbulletin has ported over to a
                      guest book that users can tweak to look and act as they want.

This is not vbulletin made to be a guest book, but whole new code with
                      that elegant vbulletin style. What do you think vbulletin programmers?
                      And yes, I'd pay for a commercial grade guestbook.

Features:
                      -E-mail link
                      -Update entry/modify entry link
                      -Split guest book when it get over let's say 50K
                      and automatically make links to previous entry pages.
                      -Option to put small picture, jpg
                      -Owner able to create look, change styles, color, links
                      -Generate mailing list of guest book e-mails
                      -Very stable, unlike some cgi scripts
                      -back ups
                      and more...
                      What do ya think?
                      Jose

Comment

• leadZERO
                        • Dec 2000

I've never seen the point of guestbooks myself. Originally they were for personal sites as a way to leave a publically viewable or private message for the person running the site not as a dumping ground like many people use them... Wait a minute I think forums already cover the original purpose

I've never used a guestbook but if you want to; drive on. I think it might be best implemented as a hack though instead of a feature. I think the vast majority of admins would have no use for it.
                        Ryan "leadZERO" Sommers
                        Gamer's Impact President
                        [email protected]
                        AIM/MSN: leadZERO

-= http://www.gamersimpact.com =-

Comment

• JonnyQuest
                          • Apr 2000

You don't need an entirely new guestbook script. I once hacked 1.15 to make it that whenever a user registered, a new forum was automatically created with that users name as the forum title, and displayorder=0. That wayt the forum still works, but it doesn't show up in the forum list. My idea was to link the users profile to that forum, or alternatively, hack the profile display so that it listed the posts from that from in it (combine forumdisplay and showprofile). Ideally, I would want to assign that user moderator priveliges, however, the way users and groups used to be set up, this was a nightmare. All you then need to do is edit the template for this forum so that it removed some of the functionality and looked a bit different, and voila, guestbooks for every user.
                          If I had a bit more time, I'd hack it in. I think it would be great. Maybe once the final version of 2.0 comes out. If only I didn't have to sleep...

Comment

• Jose
                            • Feb 2001

Guestbook clarification

The guestbook program I am talking about is not part of the
                            Vbulletin program. It is not a hack of it. I am talking about
                            the creators of vbulletin creating a separate program with
                            all of vbulletin's elegance.

Jose

Comment

• JonnyQuest
                              • Apr 2000

I think that vB already has the functionality you're looking for. Simply create a new install with 1 forum (or even 1 thread) and link directly to it. Edit the template to remove all links to other parts of the boards.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...