Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xube
    • Oct 2001

Can I delete the **Searchindex** Table

Looking at my database, the searchindex table takes up 75% of the space the database is using. Can I delete the searchindex table or zero it out in some way so that it starts to recreate itself from scratch?

From what I understand, the purpose of this table is to save previous search information so as to make future searches occur faster, but if I delete it, will the searchindex begin to rebuild itself?
    :p -=Xube ®
    ...it's just technology
  • Xube
    • Oct 2001

Note: This question is for vB2XX. Would the answer (regarding "emptying" the table) also be the same for vB3XX?
    ...it's just technology

Comment

• Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      • Jul 2000

It would be safer to empty the search index from the update counters section of the Admin CP. Note that this will effectively disable searching. And the search index will not rebuild itself. Even if it did, you'd be back to the same table size.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Xube
        • Oct 2001

Originally posted by Steve Machol
        It would be safer to empty the search index from the update counters section of the Admin CP. Note that this will effectively disable searching. And the search index will not rebuild itself. Even if it did, you'd be back to the same table size.
        [1] Is it normal for the searchindex to take up such a large percentage of database space when compared to the rest of the database?

[2] Does the searchindex increase in size with each search that is conducted? If this is true, wouldn't the table size only return to its same previously huge size assuming that users went back and did all the same search requests again?
        ...it's just technology

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
          Former vBulletin Developer
          • May 2000
          • 1.1.x

(1) Yes

(2) No, your thinking of the search table.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...