X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Leknor
    • May 2001

Originally posted by smachol
    Hmmm....further testing indicates that my site is being gzip'd but the reporting at the Leknor site is faulty.
    Thus it does appear that gzip is working. The error is in the way Leknor is reporting the results.
    I took a look at your site and how my gziped.php reports your site and you're right. My gziped.php page was wrong.

I had used the fgets() php funtion with a limit of 128 bytses per read. Well you're Server: header is 128 bytes long so the next read would read the end of line from the Server line and my code would think it is a blank line which would make it think it think that was the end of the HTTP header. It is now fixed and I (and I'm sure any other webmaster) would apprecitate it if you would email them about problems. Sorry about the run-on sentences, it is past my bed time.

Comment

• Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      • Jul 2000

Good job! Thanks for the fix!
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
        • Dec 2000
        • 3.6.x

yowasa?

am i still not zlib / gzip enabled? I'm not sure where to look in my php profile.

Comment

• Hooper
          • Apr 2001
          • 3.5.x

Smachol

I went and tested your site as well as mine. Both still say not gzipped and I know we both have it.

Hooper

Comment

• Oasis
            • May 2001

Re: yowasa?

Originally posted by Jakeman
            http://www.mac-gamer.com/forum/phpinfo.php

am i still not zlib / gzip enabled? I'm not sure where to look in my php profile.
            No you don't have zlib installed. If it were installed it would have a section for it.....funnily enough called ZLIB

Comment

• Steve Machol
              • Jul 2000

Re: Smachol

Originally posted by Hooper
              I went and tested your site as well as mine. Both still say not gzipped and I know we both have it.

Hooper
              That's weird! When I check it using 'machol.com' as the domain name it does shows that it's gzip'd. However when I use 'optiboard.com' it show it's not gzip'd. The strange thing about this is that both these domains point to the exact same page!

Leknor?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Leknor
                • May 2001

Re: Re: Smachol

Originally posted by smachol

That's weird! When I check it using 'machol.com' as the domain name it does shows that it's gzip'd. However when I use 'optiboard.com' it show it's not gzip'd. The strange thing about this is that both these domains point to the exact same page!

Leknor?
                They don't point to the same page. One url points to the other url which has your forum.

The http://optiboard.com link refircts to http://www.machol.com/forums/ . This is actaully 2 requests. The first HTTP request is to http://optiboard.com in which a 301 reply is returned. The 301 reply is nothing more then a redirect and usually has no content so the browser automatically loads the page redirtected to. My gziped.php script is very simple and doesn't handle complex redirects. Just feed it the final page that the browser would load.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  • Jul 2000

That could explain it. I'm in the process of changing servers and DNS so I needed to set up a redirect on my old site.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• latinO
                    • May 2001

Do I have GZIP...?

Hi,

last night a looked up the phpinfo.php file on the server. I found the following lines when searching for GZIP

HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING gzip, deflate

Accept-Encoding gzip, deflate

HTTP_SERVER_VARS["HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING"] gzip, deflate

Does this mean I have the library ( zlib ), GZIP works?Thanks,

latinO

Comment

• Mike Sullivan
                      Former vBulletin Developer
                      • Apr 2000
                      • 3.6.x

No, that just means your browser supports it -- you need to look for a "zlib" section.

Comment

• latinO
                        • May 2001

Originally posted by Ed Sullivan
                        No, that just means your browser supports it -- you need to look for a "zlib" section.
                        No,

no "zlib", so I'll have to contact my hosting company...? Do you think they know "zlib"?

Thank you,

latinO

Comment

• latinO
                          • May 2001

Is it much work to install "zlib"...? How long does it take...?
                          To tell my hosting company!

Comment

• imranbaig
                            • Sep 2005
                            • 3.6.x

Hi, I have Zlib Installed, and Enabled.
                            But in PHP.ini compression is turned off, I tried to edit php.ini and turn it on, but it is not showing on in phpinfo.
                            Any help please.
                            Thanks.
                            WinkeyFi

Comment

• Steve Machol
                              • Jul 2000

Please post a new thread in the appropriate forum for your version.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...