Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Martin22
    • Oct 2002

MySQL Error

Today just hasn't been my day. Earlier, I began getting getting a "Too many MySQL connections" error. I contacted my host and they resolved the situation and my board was back and running.

Then, as I tried to post a new reply, I noticed some slowdown and for some reason I'd get a browser error. So, just to be on the safe side, I shut down the forum and ran the repair.php file. Quite a few tables returned as being corrupted and in need of repair, so I ran the script again and that's where my trouble began. From that point on, any page on my board gives me the following message:

There seems to have been a slight problem with the database.
    Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.
    An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.
    The only problem is I have yet to receive an error e-mail, so I don't know what exactly started acting up.

Remembering a similar problem, I logged into my web space control panel and sought to repair tables using phpMyAdmin, but, in addition to some tables showing up as "In use", running the repair query always gives me an error message saying it was unable to do so and lists "28 when fixing table" as the reason.

So, my question is: what should I do? Do I need to contact my host again?

I should mention that I have absolutely zero experience with using MySQL via telnet/SSH-- Putty isn't available for Macs and I haven't found a good alternative.

Thanks for the help.

Martin
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

Right click and view the source and paste it here so we can see the full message.

Bah, i missed the error number

Comment

• Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      • Jul 2000

Error code 28: No space left on device

One or more partitions on your server is out of space or doesn't have enough space to complete this operation. Shutdown your forums and contact your host immediately. You or your host will need to find out which partition is low on space and free up some more space.

Note in order for repair to fix the table it first must make a backup of it. Therefore the server needs to have enough space (probably in it's tmp partition) to hold a backup of this table. In general the server needs to have 2.5 -3 times the amount of free space as the largest table. Obviously the larger the table, the more space required.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Martin22
        • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Zachery
        Right click and view the source and paste it here so we can see the full message.
        Didn't know that was possible. Here it is.

"<!-- Database error in vBulletin :

Invalid SQL: SELECT template FROM template WHERE title='options'
        mysql error: Can't open file: 'template.MYD'. (errno: 144)

mysql error number: 1016

Date: Saturday 20th of March 2004 08:08:18 PM
        Script: /
        Referer:
        -->"

I'll forward Machol's post to my host and see what they can do.

I don't know if you guys are told often enough, but your fast and helpful replies are really appreciated. Thanks!

Martin

Comment

• Steve Machol
          Former Customer Support Manager
          • Jul 2000

That error means the template table is corrupted and needs to be repaired. You can run this query to fix that table:

REPAIR TABLE template;

However if you get the '28' error when repairing, this is a server space issue as previously noted.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...