X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Askoldww
    • Mar 2004
    • 3.0.0 'Gold'

Installation V2.3.4 - try #2

My first install attempt crashed and burned, but much was learned.

I'm resetting the database and will try again.

A couple of questions.

1) My hosting service initializes MySQL with a default database containing user accounts, etc. I don't want to use that db for vBulletin.

Before I run the install.php script should a create an empty database (for example - vbulletin) or does the script do this. For example, if I specify $dbname="vbulletin" and I have not created it yet, will the script create the db or will it complain?

2) I have to specify a user name and password in config.php. I'm not completely clear on the relationship between user names and databases.

Do I create an empty database for vbulletin and then create a user in that database and specify that user in dbname?

My hosting service allows me to create a user/password without creating any new databases - can I put that in dbname?

Thanks
    Askold Wawryszyn
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

1. You should create a database to be on the safe side, call it what you want

2. A user is generaly assigned to a database, if you cant asssign one, its your Hosts control panel username and password, most of the time.

Altho, i shoudl tell you, with vB3 Final due out this week you may wish to wait, and just use that, or install RC4.

Comment

• Askoldww
      • Mar 2004
      • 3.0.0 'Gold'

VB3 is an intersting possibility.

I have a supported license - can I upgrade to VB3 at any time?

How solid is VB3? I'm used to Microsoft software and never install a new release of anything until Service Pack 3 or 4 ....

What are the PHP and MySQL version requirements for VB3?

Thanks
      Askold Wawryszyn

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

If you can run vB2 you can most likly run vB3.

In my personal opinion vB3 has been good since about beta 5.
        Id say release canidate is when a vast majority of other users started using it.
        Ive been using it live sicne beta 4 with no real problems
        As long as your license is active and you have access to the members area you can run vB3

Comment

• Askoldww
          • Mar 2004
          • 3.0.0 'Gold'

So, is this VB3 I'm looking at? I notice some difference.

Is the install about the same as V2.3.4?

I could still go either way.

But, I have another install question - I give install.php a user name for the forum database. What database priveleges should the user have - all or just some?

Will this user account (and it's privileges) only be used for the install or also when the forum is running?

Thanks

ps: I've already dumped Yahoo Small Business and I'm starting over with F5hosting
          Askold Wawryszyn

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

glad you made a move to a better host.

vBulletin 3's install process is simpliefied, and i think nicer in general. esp the upgrade process.

Its probally good for the database user to have almost all privalges, the one i might not want to get it for some odd reason would be drop.

Comment

• Askoldww
              • Mar 2004
              • 3.0.0 'Gold'

I've taken a look at both the VB3 system and the documentation - they both look better than 2.3.4.

I guess I'll be installing VB3 - I can't think of a good reason for installing the old version. My guess is that your company is going to concnetrate its effors on the new stuff so I may as well go with the mainstream.

Thanks
              Askold Wawryszyn

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...