X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigdaddy04
    • Jan 2004

skeptical about a new admin..

Hi Guys,
    I have met a real nice guy yesterday and he is interested in partnering with me on the admin job, I just met him yesterday and I want to protect myself against any erasures that can be made from the admin. I am going to give him admin priviledges, how can I disallow the deletion of ANYTHING in the script... I keep daily backups so if something doesnt go right between us, i can restore, but can i protect myself from any data erasures somehow?

Cheers!
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

In vB2, giving someone admin powers to your site, you give them full access. You cant stop him from doing anything, you should only really give Admin to people you trust . DO NOT give him FTP access for any reason, if he has FTP access he has as much control over the forums as you do, by not giving him ftp access, he cannot damage too much.

If this was vB3 you would have quiet abit more control over things.

Comment

• bigdaddy04
      • Jan 2004

interesting, thanks for the heads up.

whats the worst that could happen? if he decides to go crazy and start messing up stuff, whats the worst that could happen from the admin panel?

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

He could remove all the posts, remove your useraccount, Generate a mailing list and submit to to sites to be spamed apon, there are endless results really.

Comment

• bigdaddy04
          • Jan 2004

ah I see, when is VB3 final version coming out anyways?

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

As the announcement says this week.

In vB3 you can limit all of his AdminCP access to be less than that of the ModCP (of course he still does have access to this)

Comment

• bigdaddy04
              • Jan 2004

wow, awesome!
              btw, i am not quite sure what you meant regarding the new adminCP limitation feature of vb3..

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

Basicly for every Option there is in the AdminCP, you can say if a user does or doesnt have access to mess with it.

See attached image
                Attached Files

Comment

• JustAskJulie
                  • Nov 2002
                  • 3.6.x

Why would you take the chance of giving someone you don't know admin access? Do you really need the help that bad on your site? I would say if anything make them a super mod, then they have much of the same abilities that they would have as an admin but without the ability to get into the admin panel and screw you over.

Personally, I don't trust anyone who comes to me ASKING to be an admin or a mod... just seems fishy.
                  Julie

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...