Anyobe else using http://www.northsky.com??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TechTalk
    • Jul 2000

Anyobe else using http://www.northsky.com??

I was considering signing up and I was curious as to how you fitted it into your vb. Do users have to signup again to get free hosting? Also did you have to move your site over to their servers?

Any details and or links to sites that use northsky would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
    ~Chris
  • AaronB
    • Jun 2000

I use them. I have a seperate domain that I use for the free hosting though so it doesn't effect my main site. But they just become your name server and point your main domain to your existing server. So you don't actually have to move your stuff.

They have been great to work with so far, they take care of ALL the support issues for you, and do so fairly quickly (response time I mean).

They are on a completely seperate database on their own servers so I don't see a way to combine it with vbulletin
    Aaron
    DisneySites!! MessageBoards
    http://boards.disneysites.com/

Comment

• George L
      Former vBulletin Support
      • May 2000
      • 3.8.x

yep same here i use northsky on 2 separate domains from my site, [url]http://username.myeva.net[/url] and [url]http://username.mygundam.net[/url] and the site i signed up under was for [url]http://www.eva2000.com[/url]

i signed up so many sites to my free hosting domains with northsky in my first 3 weeks (just under 300 sign ups), that they contacted me on behalf of their parent company and i will be doing something nice with them... :D

i have 600+ sign ups (150,000 pageviews/month on hostee sites) under those 2 domains and a new 3rd domain [url]http://dragonballpage.net[/url] will be going with them soon..

and yeah, with the domain you just use their nameservers, and point your domain to your existing host's IP... you can also reserve particular subdomains and use them for your own site, or point subdomains to ips on other hosts...

the approve time for your application is kinda long, but after that everything is setup very quicky...

also you only need the initial contract with them.... you can add more domains to that same initial contract
      :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
      :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• JimF
        • May 2000

Strange-

I applied with them, and got an email back the next day saying that they couldn't approve my site because it was "incomplete or under construction". I replied saying that it was there, and it must have been a problem on their end. Based on what eva2000 said - how long should I wait before I re-apply?

I hope they accept me, I secured a bunch of cool domains that I was going to use for it.

-jim

Comment

• TechTalk
          • Jul 2000

Well they just sent me my info with my contract and all the other info that needs to be signed and returned to them. Looks like a pretty neat deal. I just hope that their servers are up all the time because the way it works is you change your dns info on your site to point to their server and then if a request is made for your-site.com then they direct the user to your existing host otherwise they direct them to their server.

JimF, IMO your site looks 100% eligable and in no way under construction. Id just signup again ;)

~Chris

Comment

• George L
            Former vBulletin Support
            • May 2000
            • 3.8.x

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by JimF [/i]
            [B]Strange-

I applied with them, and got an email back the next day saying that they couldn't approve my site because it was "incomplete or under construction". I replied saying that it was there, and it must have been a problem on their end. Based on what eva2000 said - how long should I wait before I re-apply?

I hope they accept me, I secured a bunch of cool domains that I was going to use for it.

-jim [/B][/QUOTE] well, i would definitely email the rep who contacted you and tell them it's there... i myself would not re-apply through their form, but rather continue to contact the rep that contacted you to get them to look at i again...

they said it takes 2 weeks to review an application... it took me 15 days so it's close... just i was very impatient to start with... :D

they service is great and i have had less than 6 hostees email me with password problems etc... and out of 600+ total hostees that's fine by me...

[b]techtalk[/b] it's for that reason i don't use my main site domain eva2000.com for the hosting... i use myeva.net, mygundam.net and dragonballpage.net and redirect the domain frontpage to eva2000.com's ip address...
            :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• TechTalk
              • Jul 2000

Wow 15 days? Only took them 4 to get me mine ;)

~Chris

Comment

• George L
                Former vBulletin Support
                • May 2000
                • 3.8.x

yeah the took their time with mine... and for good reasons which i can't say :)

Comment

• doron
                  • Apr 2000

actually, I was one of their first guinea pigs, I think my site was one of the first to actually go up, back in the old days where the planned a $250 charge and a much better ad revenue split model. They have had their down times and such, but that is usual for any service.

[Edited by doron on 08-10-2000 at 03:35 PM]

Comment

• George L
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • May 2000
                    • 3.8.x

hey doron, i remember swsite.net actually, my friend bill's site thejedi.com went up near the start last year during the TPM frenzy :D

Comment

• George L
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • May 2000
                      • 3.8.x

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by doron [/i]
                      [B]actually, I was one of their first guinea pigs, I think my site was one of the first to actually go up, back in the old days where the planned a $250 charge and a much better ad revenue split model. They have had their down times and such, but that is usual for any service.

[Edited by doron on 08-10-2000 at 03:35 PM] [/B][/QUOTE] wasn't it US$200 charge ? last year i asked about their premiere solution and they charge US$10,000 setup :eek:

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...