• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paschalis
    • May 2001

stuck between v1.1.6 and v2.0

Hi,

this is how it happened:
    I was using vbulletin v1.1.6 and I wanted to upgrade to v2.0. Since I was stupid, I didn't make a backup of my database. Since I was even more stupid, instead of using upgrade1.php3, I wiped out the older version, tried to make a clean install with v2.0 and use my old database with it. The installation didn't work, so I let the whole thing be, wiped out v2.0 recopied v1.1.6 in its old place and everything worked fine. That was some weeks ago.

Now I really need to upgrade and I am a little smarter than before, so I made a backup of my database and let the upgrade1.php3 run. Third step in the upgrade script, I am told that it won't work, because I tried to run the script before (which I didn't). I am also told that I have to reset to the 1.1.6 version of the database before the update can run.

Up to that point, I assumed that I am using v1.1.6 of the database. So I checked in the contents of my database backup and there is a table for polls. As far as I know, there are no polls in vbulletin v1.1.6 (that is the sole reason I want to upgrade), therefore my database is not a "clean" 1.1.6 version and it won't work with a fresh install of vbulletin v2.0. vbulletin 1.1.6 is still running without problems

Question is: how can I use polls?
    Destroying the database is no option. I've read here about a repair.php script which is not in my distribution for whatever reason. Would that help? Could I manually delete some tables to reset my database to v1.1.6? Do I really need v2.0 for polls? Am I handsome?

Thanks
    Paschalis
  • Paschalis
    • May 2001

Found repair.php
    I'll try it out

Comment

• Mike Sullivan
      Former vBulletin Developer
      • Apr 2000
      • 3.6.x

[quote]Third step in the upgrade script, I am told that it won't work, because I tried to run the script before (which I didn't). I am also told that I have to reset to the 1.1.6 version of the database before the update can run. [/quote]Actually, you did. WHen you wiped out your database, you left all the tables there that the upgrade started creating -- your backup didn't know anything about them, so it couldn't remove them.

These are the only tables you should have in your database for 1.1.6:
      announcement
      bbcode
      category
      forum
      forumpermission
      icon
      session
      smilie
      template
      thread
      user
      usergroup
      usertitle

All other tables are for 2.0 and should be removed before trying to upgrade again.

Comment

• Paschalis
        • May 2001

Thanks for answering

Now, I removed all tables that weren't supposed to be there and upgrading seems to work fine. Now I got a minor problem and another big problem.

Minor problem is, when updating the counters, I got this database error:
        Database error in vBulletin Control Panel: Invalid SQL: SELECT COUNT(*) AS threads,SUM(replycount) AS replies FROM thread WHERE forumid= AND visible=1 AND open<>10
        mysql error: You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'AND visible=1 AND open<>10' at line 1
        mysql error number: 1064
        Date: Thursday 28th of June 2001 09:37:54 AM
        Script: /forum/admin/misc.php3

Big problem is that user can access everything they are allowed to but when clicking on 'Submit Reply' or 'Preview Reply' the "Page cannot be displayed" page is displayed on Microsoft explorer along with "Cannot find server or DNS error". Opera says "Connection closed by remote server" under the same conditions. Why? Server is a linux system by the way.

Bye

Comment

• Mike Sullivan
          • Apr 2000
          • 3.6.x

For the first, go to forums & moderators -> modify, click "edit" by any forum and then just submit the page the comes up (you don't have to change anything) -- that should regenerate the parentlist. Hopefully that should let you run update forum counters.

For the second, PHP version? Webserver? PHP running as a CGI or module? (you can get the php info by going to .../admin/index.php?action=phpinfo )

Comment

• Paschalis
            • May 2001

Thanks again!

Counter thing worked

php version is 3.0.17-dev

Server:
            uname -sr says it is Linux 2.4.3
            phpinfo says "System Linux tait 2.4.0" !?
            Last edited by Paschalis; Mon 2 Jul '01, 1:34am.

Comment

• Paschalis
              • May 2001

I forgot:
              php running as module

Comment

• Mike Sullivan
                • Apr 2000
                • 3.6.x

Ewww.. and OLD dev version. (that's like running an old old beta...)

Try removing the "enctype" attribute from the <form> tag in newthread/newreply/editpost and see if that helps.

Comment

• Paschalis
                  • May 2001

It worked!

Shall I leave it this way or is it a better solution to install a newer version of php?

Comment

• Mike Sullivan
                    • Apr 2000
                    • 3.6.x

I can guarantee that upgrading to a recent PHP will fix this problem, but if you upgrade to 4.0.6, you should definately see some nice performance increases. (And it may fix this issue)

Comment

• Paschalis
                      • May 2001

You can guarantee that it will fix the problem or it MAY fix it? I don't quite understand

Comment

• Mike Sullivan
                        • Apr 2000
                        • 3.6.x

Sorry about that -- should've re-read my own post.

I *can't* guarantee that it'll fix this problem. But it may, and you should see some nice speed increases with the jump to PHP 4.

Comment

• Paschalis
                          • May 2001

OK, thanks for everything

Good service!

Comment