X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ErikD
    • Jun 2000

Shut out once again

Hi,

Happend once again, it seems like it keeps on happening over and over again. I will install it all all over again with a new version (I used 1.1.2).

Note that this will be the fourth time I have to install it. It looks like it goes wrong after I've closed my computer. If I keep it up and running I don't seem to have any problems, but once shut down, it's all over again.

Nice Product.

Erik
  • Shaman
    • Jun 2000

I've never been shut out, once. I've been running it for almost three weeks now.

Just for the record.
    http://racing.kos.net
    http://www.rumour.com/

Comment

• NgtCrwlr
      • Jun 2000

ErikD

What vB version were you running when you got locked out?

I just went into our test vB v1.1.3, and tried everything I could to get locked out. Very difficult, but I did manage to get locked out by removing an !Auto Generated Moderator. There is a warning that this user will be downgraded to Registered status however. Removing an Auto Generated moderator will lock you out if that person is also the ADMIN.

Contrary to my first thoughts you can remove all moderators and not get locked out. However, this may only be true with v1.1.3, I'm not sure.

Getting back in was not hard, I used PHPMyAdmin and set the user level from (2) to (6) and I was back in. Three times I did this and it worked every time.

I did have more of a problem getting locked out of v1.1.2 so maybe John corrected something in v1.1.3 As far as I can tell v1.1.3 is pretty good about warning you if you are about to mess up.

I did notice one problem that isn't related to getting locked out. In add a moderator you can enter a user name that does not exist and it will display (user added OK). The good part of this error is the bad user name will not show up on the mod list. I'll make a note of this for John.

Being that you are having so many problems with getting locked out I highly recommend that you use my suggestion in you first I'm locked out post. Backup your DB, at minimum backup your template, user, and usergroup tables. Do this and if you make a mistake you would be back in business in less than 10 minutes.

If you need help with backing up your DB just ask.
      Larry "NgtCrwlr" Mingus
      MakeItSimple.com | MIS-Forums.com - Building a Digital Photography Community

Comment

• ErikD
        • Jun 2000

Thanks, no problems anymore

Hi Larry,

Thanks for all the help. I did make a backup of the database and that works quite well, but still it shouldn't be happening.

I've solved the problem now. I was useing the board on a CT account (Communitech) with a subdomain (http://forums.viahet.net). What I did now was installing it via the ipaddress and the subdirectory where everything is stored. That works just fine. The only problem is that I can never log out there out of the board. I keep logged in. But hey I don't mind as long as I don't get shut out.

The strange thing is, that when I go to the board via the subdomain pointed above, I don't show up as logged in. So the cookie won't probably notice that I'm allready logged in if I get there through another way.

What I did now is I just created a 'normal' user account through the subdomain and work with that when I just want to post messages and if I want to do something from a admin point of view, I will use the ipaddress to get in.

Thanks again for all the help.

Regards,

Erik

Comment

• Martin
          • Apr 2000
          • 3.5.x

Eric, you should also set up a strictly Admin account that is never used for posting. It will always leave you a backup account to use if this happens again so you can reset your main privs...
          Webmaster:
          @forumz

Comment

• werehere
            • Apr 2000

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Martin [/i]
            [B]Eric, you should also set up a strictly Admin account that is never used for posting. It will always leave you a backup account to use if this happens again so you can reset your main privs... [/B][/QUOTE]

Even one step better is to set up either a super mod, or a completely new usergroup that can access the control panel, and give that permission, or assign that usergroup to that one user. That way even if you mess up the actual admin usergroup, you can still always get in.:)
            We're Here Forums!
            [email protected]

Comment

• risestar
              • Apr 2000

I just accidently locked myself out by removing myself as a moderator in the moderator box :(

Had to look up another admins user and pass in mysql and let myself in.

Comment

• NgtCrwlr
                • Jun 2000

I think in v1.1.3 this may have been corrected.

At least it has better warnings like... if you remove this moderator the user status will be reset to Registered! I don't remember seeing any warnings in v1.1.2 and I think may be the reason people are locking themselves out. In my testing of v1.1.3 the only way I was able to lock myself out is to ignore the warning when removing an auto generated moderator who is an admin.

I would suggest upgrading to the latest version.
                Larry "NgtCrwlr" Mingus
                MakeItSimple.com | MIS-Forums.com - Building a Digital Photography Community

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...