Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mas*Mind
    • Jun 2000

When going to forum: error 500

I just installed vbulletin on my server, but the forum won't show up; Instead I get an error 500 (servererror)

My forum: [url]http://feyenoordforever.nl/forum/index.php[/url]
    isp/server: [url]http://www.pair.com[/url]
    phpversion: 3.0.6.
    phpinfo: [url]http://feyenoordforever.nl/phpinfo.php3[/url]
    vbulletin version: 1.1.3 beta 2

Can't it be that it's an too old phpversion they have installed?

[Edited by Mas*Mind on 06-18-2000 at 09:57 AM]
  • Martin
    • Apr 2000
    • 3.5.x

if you're getting a 500 error, they probably have PHP running as CGI and you would need to set permissions on the files as you would a normal CGI file.

and yes, they are running an outdated version of PHP...
    Webmaster:
    @forumz

Comment

• Mas*Mind
      • Jun 2000

Permission on every php file is 755 which should be right...

Comment

• John
        • Apr 2000

PHP runs best compiled as an Apache module. And an upgrade to a later version would also help.

As for that error, it may be that your host does not allow the .php extension as opposed to .php3. Try renaming the files, to .php3 and see if that helps. If so, you will want to do a global search and replace of all the files for .php -> .php3 .

John
        John Percival

Artificial intelligence usually beats real stupidity ;)

Comment

• Mas*Mind
          • Jun 2000

Problem is I don't think they'll do that shortly, because I asked them many times :(

But I will try the thing w/ the extensions tomorrow (I do it now w/ .htacces btw, because only .php3 is parsed default)

It will be better if the extension is variable btw, something for a next version?

Comment

• mmoncur
            • Jun 2000

I just installed vBulletin as well, this is the first time I have tried it. (I previously installed and deleted the lite version.)

I get the same error (error 500: premature end of script headers) on the forum page. The admin section, on the other hand, works fine.

My provider is running PHP 3.0.6 under Apache. I'm not sure if they are running it as a CGI module, so I tried setting the x bits on all php files to no avail.

I also just renamed all of the files to .php3 and globally replaced all occurrences of .php to .php3... With no effect. (Previously I had added a .php entry to my .htaccess file.)

Any ideas?

Comment

• mmoncur
              • Jun 2000

One more thing

I should add that my provider is also [url]http://www.pair.com[/url], the same as the original poster in this thread... Hmmm.

Comment

• mmoncur
                • Jun 2000

FIXED! Mas*Mind take note!

After doing a bit of reading on pair's newsgroups, I discovered that not only is their version of PHP a bit old, it's also screwed up in some fashion.

The good news is that you can compile your own version of PHP in your cgi-bin directory. And the even better news is that some kind soul has written friendly instructions to tell us exactly how. Check out this page:

[url]http://www.vttrains.com/phphelp/[/url]

That page has good pair-specific instructions. I followed these but used PHP 3.0.16 instead of PHP4 (figuring that 4 might have issues with vB).

My VBulletin works beautifully now...

BTW, if you follow those instructions you can leave your files as *.php, I think.

Comment

• Mas*Mind
                  • Jun 2000

Thanks! I'll try it asap! But won't this slow down the server btw?

Comment

• Mas*Mind
                    • Jun 2000

Thanks very much mmoncur! It works flawlessly now (I installed php4 btw, no problems yet whatsoever :))

Comment

• mmoncur
                      • Jun 2000

Glad to hear it! Yes, I suppose it might slow down the server, but I figure that's Pair's problem if they aren't running the latest version. :)

For what it's worth, response times are fine so far for me.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...