X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VAN
    • Feb 2001

::sigh:: Another question RE: Importing UBB info

Hey gang-

Just got my vb installed...pretty much trouble free. I now need to import my UBB info. Here lies my dilemma...

My UBB resides on a different server. I am putting the vb on a new server since my old server didn't support mysql or php. Can I import the info across servers? If not, what exact UBB files would I need to move to my new server? Thanks in advance!

-VAN
  • Martin
    • Apr 2000
    • 3.5.x

[url]http://vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=458[/url]

that has all the info :)
    Webmaster:
    @forumz

Comment

• VAN
      • Feb 2001

Thanks....but.....

Thanks...that thread helped, but now I am getting an error.

It says "success", but then I get this below:

Warning: Variable passed to each() is not an array or object in /home/blah/public_html/blah/admin/import.php on line 225

Ideas?

Comment

• Martin
        • Apr 2000
        • 3.5.x

hey, I like the opening page to your website.

you're getting the error (which I will have to research a little to figger out since I don't recall ever seeing this one) but are the imports working?
        Webmaster:
        @forumz

Comment

• VAN
          • Feb 2001

Thanks for the comment regarding my splash page. :)

Are they working? Umm.....no. The first step is to import members, and thats what im stuck on. Even if I move on to import forums and threads, I get the same error message I posted above for each step of the process.

Also....is there anyone out there on AOL or AIM that can help me out with this UBB Import deal? I'd be forever greatful and I'll pay you 1 million dollars......or nothing (my choice) Thanks!

My AIM= VAN444
          Last edited by VAN; Thu 1 Mar '01, 8:51am.

Comment

• Mike Sullivan
            Former vBulletin Developer
            • Apr 2000
            • 3.6.x

Sounds you your absolute paths to UBB are incorrect. (or you didn't upload all the UBB files)

Comment

• Martin
              • Apr 2000
              • 3.5.x

it wasn't spelled out in that thread I linked you to, but I assume you did copy your entire members folder from UBB to the new server, too, right?

as Ed said, double check your paths.
              Webmaster:
              @forumz

Comment

• VAN
                • Feb 2001

Yes, Martin. I moved the entire Members folder from the old server to the new one where vbulletin resides. I didn't move anything else just yet, though. Figured I tackle one import job at a time.

Comment

• VAN
                  • Feb 2001

Let's try something different....

Can anyone (Maybe Martin?) tell me the EXACT directories and/or files from my UBB that I need to move over to my vb server so that I can attempt the import again?

I need the entitre Members folder, that one is done. What else do I need?

Comment

• Mike Sullivan
                    • Apr 2000
                    • 3.6.x

Your CGI directory (for the variable files)
                    Your Non-CGI directory (for more variable files)
                    Your ForumX directories (for the data; you don't need the HTML directories)
                    Your members directory

To put it simply -- basically everything but the HTML.

Comment

• VAN
                      • Feb 2001

Surely I don't need the ENTIRE cgi folder, and surely I don't need the ENTIRE non-cgi folder. Those directories are full of UBB specific files. eg; images, UBB hacks, etc. Can't you just tell me what files are needed from each of those directories? That would cut my transfer time in half and make life a helluva lot easier for me and for future folks who may be switching from UBB to vB while simultaneously changing servers.

If you can't provide the info, I guess I'll have no choice but to move the whole %$#@! Board over, but I would REALLY like to avoid that.

Allentown, eh Ed Sullivan? The company I work for has its global headquarters in Allentown. I may be taking sme trips there soon, so you'll hafta tell me where the best nudie bars.......errr.....restaurants are. :D
                      Last edited by VAN; Thu 1 Mar '01, 1:01pm.

Comment

• Mike Sullivan
                        • Apr 2000
                        • 3.6.x

Well, I think the only file you need from the CGI directory is forums.cgi, but there aren't *that* many files in there -- so I'd just transfer it over anyway.

From the non-cgi directory, you need the data files -- stuff like categories.file. So look for .file files.

(Although, I'm doing this off the top of my head, so keep that in mind :))

Of course, if you have telnet you could actually just FTP the files from your old server to your new one directly, but I don't actually know the commands for that. :)

[quote]Allentown, eh Ed Sullivan? The company I work for has its global headquarters in Allentown. I may be taking sme trips there soon, so you'll hafta tell me where the best nudie bars.......errr.....restaurants are.[/quote]Hmm... you might want to look at my age (in my profile) before you ask that. ;)

Comment

• VAN
                          • Feb 2001

Ok, Ed SUllivan....at your request I checked out your age via your profile. I have now decided that I hate you. You are 9 or 10 years my junior and a friggin' programming genius. Lemme guess...you are also good looking and drive a really snazzy car, huh? Bastard! :D

Ok, I'm at home now and will make another attempt at importing all of my UBB "goodies" Wish me luck!

Comment

• VAN
                            • Feb 2001

It's still not working. I have ALL of the necessary info on my server and the paths are correct because it says "success" rather than "no such file or directory"

Warning: file("http://www.myurl.com/board/Members/memberslist.cgi") - Success in /home/blah/public_html/board/admin/import.php on line 217

Importing members...

Instructions will appear at the bottom of this page telling what to do when this is done

Warning: Variable passed to each() is not an array or object in /home/blah/public_html/board/admin/import.php on line 225

Completed importing users.

Click here to import forums.

Any other ideas?

Comment

• VAN
                              • Feb 2001

**UPDATE**

I got it to work...finally. Just wanted to letcha know. I'll be back if I run into any other troubles. Thanks for the help, Martin and Ed (bastard!) Sullivan. You guys rule.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...