Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John
    • Apr 2000

site5 situation update

I have been working non stop for the last two days trying to identify and resolve the issues on the site5 servers.

Symptoms: A thread, with more that one post in, returns to the browser an empty document. This is in fact an HTTP 400 - Bad Request error. On further investigation into the Apache log file, it appears that PHP is causing some seg faults:

FATAL: emalloc(): Unable to allocate 1515870815 bytes
    [Sun May 21 19:18:38 2000] [notice] child pid 16531 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)

This problem appears to occur only on some site / database combinations. Notably, a script that will not work with one database may work with another one!

Cause: the bbcodeparse function, and in particular, its use of the str_replace function. I have played around, and I have yet to find out why this should cause PHP to crash so violently, but to no avail. I have emailed the PHP mailing list in search of a reply, and I will be posting a bug report on the PHP bug lists area if nothing helpful comes along.

Something for site5 site owners to try if they are having these problems: Install version 1.1.0, available in the members area, and then upgrade to 1.1.1, also available in the members area. I have not had a chance to test this as an alternative to installing version 1.1.1 straight off yet, so if anyone has a chance to do it before me, let me know.

I am fairly convinced that this is not a bug with vBulletin, but I would like to get that confirmed by the PHP team. I hope to get this sorted out soon.

Cheers,
    John
    John Percival

Artificial intelligence usually beats real stupidity ;)
  • Nutcase
    • May 2000

I actually tried 1.1.0 before, and it didnt work either, just so you know.

You have been great at working this out... Thanks!

Waiting Patiently,

Nutcase - a frustrated vB admin on a site5 host.

Comment

• manifesto
      • Apr 2000

Didn't Mafuke (sp?) get it working on Site5?

Comment

• Mafukie
        • Apr 2000

it's Mafukie you forgot the i

yeah I got it working at Site5.com

( some posts are totally dumb because we just mess around right now.. still waiting for signatures to work in next version. )

Comment

• werehere
          • Apr 2000

Mafukie,

Nice colors on that forum, I seem to remember those from somewhere.
          We're Here Forums!
          [email protected]

Comment

• Mafukie
            • Apr 2000

hehehe >=)

yeah, I knew you were going to post something about that... I'm going to change them when I start the forum over again...

Ok changed it around a bit.

[Edited by Mafukie on 05-26-2000 at 10:28 AM]

Comment

• werehere
              • Apr 2000

hehe, the colors are not copyrighted or anything, but that was a nice thing you have done by changing them around
              We're Here Forums!
              [email protected]

Comment

• Mafukie
                • Apr 2000

I don't want to be on anyones bad side, or make the community think I rip-off other peoples work...

I just used your color scheme because I was in a hurry and liked yours.

but I like the new one I made better now heh

Comment

• werehere
                  • Apr 2000

Yes it looks very nice indeed, good work
                  We're Here Forums!
                  [email protected]

Comment

• JimF
                    • May 2000

Good work, Makukie! I'm glad to see that you finally got it working.

Just a few (random) thoughts; nobody "rips off" anybody here. Where I'm sure everbody appreciates originality, the thing I love about a growing community such as this, is that we all help each other out. If I have an idea, and someone else uses it too, more power to them. It is rare that I have an idea good enough to be used by someone other than me.

My point, is that this is a community, as you said. Please don't feel like you are ripping anybody else off. We all share ideas here. Though as I said, originality is always welcome.

Werehere, or anyone else, please feel free to scold me if I am far off track here...

Again, congratulations Mafukie!

Comment

• WebStyles
                      • Apr 2000

Mafukie... Aaron was just kidding you. We give our source files away for a living!
                      We're Here Forums!
                      [email protected]

Comment

• werehere
                        • Apr 2000

Oh yeah, dont take my comments badly, I did not mean them to be negative
                        We're Here Forums!
                        [email protected]

Comment

• John
                          • Apr 2000

At last....

I have fixed the problem that we were having on the site5 servers. I do not know the exact reason for the crashes, although I narrowed it down to one line of code. I am still awaiting a response from the site5 sysadmin to get back to me on some details so that I can report the bug officially to the PHP team.

The workaround will be in the next version, and I can explain how to add it to the current version if people need it urgently. Email me if you do.

Cheers,
                          John
                          John Percival

Artificial intelligence usually beats real stupidity ;)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...