X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fabian Schonholz
    Former Vice President of Technology
    • Apr 2010

Hello to the vBulletin community

I wanted to take some time and introduce myself: my name is Fabian Schonholz and I recently started at Internet Brands as the Vice President of Technology responsible for vBulletin. My background in software development started a long time ago, but of note, the last 15 years of my career have been dedicated to Enterprise Grade web based products, with the last 10 years at the technology helm of several start-ups, developing very scalable products and pushing the envelope at the technology stack and architecture levels.

It is exciting to be here.

I used vBulletin as a forum package back in 2004/2005. Anytime somebody has asked me for a forum product recommendation, I would recommend vBulletin. I always thought of it as a fantastic product and as luck would have it, now I am responsible for it – how cool is that!!

Since the time I first used vBulletin, the package has evolved dramatically and continues to evolve. I am in the process of getting an understanding around the list of defects (bugs) and features so I can plot a course of action and attack the list. Both are important, a good and solid software and keeping pace with market and customer needs. I am committed to delivering both.

In the last two weeks, I have been talking to the development team behind vBulletin and management, and have spent time reading the forums. I have to say that I am encouraged by the passion for the product; both, by the community and by the Internet Brands team. It is a great feeling to come to work everyday and share my time with people with such great passion for such a product.

I appreciate all the feedback and comments you are able to provide on the product on a regular basis as it enables us to make further improvements. I already started reading through them and hope to read more, but I will probably leave the communication and posting up to the support team and Adrian, as I am focusing my time on improving the product. If you have a question specifically for me, you are welcome to pass it through Adrian or the support staff.

I look forward to our working together to make vBulletin the continuing leader in the market.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Fabian Schonholz; Wed 14 Apr '10, 3:44pm.
  • IB Adrian
    Former Senior Operations Manager
    • Jul 2008
    • 3.6.x

Fabian thought he would share an update of his thoughts on vBulletin after being here for a month

Originally posted by Fabian
    To the vBulletin community:

It has been a month since I joined Internet Brands and became responsible for vBulletin. It has been an interesting month of coming up to speed and understanding the product beyond the way I used it in the past. For starters, it is a more comprehensive product which provides a larger set of usage opportunities. As such, I am even more impressed with it.

Coming into any new job, a show in progress so to speak, is, is both hard and a blessing. It is hard because there is a great deal of institutional knowledge - in this case community knowledge - that which I do not have and will take me time to acquire, but also a blessing because I can bring a new and fresh sets of ideas to weight into the product.

So ... What have I done on my month?

First of all I made some small but necessary changes to the development process. My goal with those changes is to first increase quality. Quality is paramount to me and the changes are oriented first and foremost to continuously improve it. Second, I want to speed up development of enhancements and new features. I like to release early and often while respecting release policies and schedules. I see it as having more choices and we can pass these choices to you. In achieving these two goals, we will release a product that is always on time as well as high quality.

Beyond the upcoming releases, soon enough 4.0.4 followed by 4.1 and upgrades, I want to start focusing on what future product plans means to our clients and to Internet Brands. There are great opportunities for vBulletin and I want all of us to profit from them.

If you have any comments of suggestions, please, do not hesitate to shared them with us all.

Thank you.

Fabian E. Schonholz
    Last edited by Steve Machol; Thu 13 May '10, 6:57pm. Reason: fixed some typos
    Adrian

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...