Customizing vBulletin
    PaintballCity.com
    VB Board of the Month: October

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
      Former vBulletin Developer
      • May 2000
      • 1.1.x

Customising is probably the British spelling.

Comment

• David Copeland
        • May 2000

1) The message box is too small. I like the earlier version;

2) Purple? I prefer the Blue (such as ) , but with WHITE letters. Or at least have options for us to change the Purple out. It reminds me of a feminine touch, whereas most of our boards are male driven;

3) You dumped the html feature in our signatures, as well as the img VBulletin option to use in our signatures. If that is part of the version, I dislike it. I was able to have an animated email gif before. Now it's straight text;

4) I like the text on the options for edit, profile, etc, rather than the earlier pictures. Newcomers need to
        read what their options are before placing the mouse cursor over the image to read what the link does;

5) I still dislike tremendously the and buttons for newcomers. I'd rather you retitle them to "Write a New Topic" and "Write a Reply" to better inform the newcomers of what the button links will accomplish. As VBulletin becomes more popular, we still find our need to teach new forum members how to push the right buttons!

6) And as for speed, that is the most important over the other software versions out there.

7) I am sure you have added many other fine features, which I am delighted to see.

8) Do you actually read these suggestions? Or am I wasting my time?

DAVID COPELAND
        Licensed VB Holder Since 2000
        Celebrating 22 Years with VB

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
          Former vBulletin Developer
          • May 2000
          • 1.1.x

Originally posted by David Copeland
          2) Purple? I prefer the Blue (such as ) , but with WHITE letters. Or at least have options for us to change the Purple out. It reminds me of a feminine touch, whereas most of our boards are male driven;
          I think you need to rethink that one a bit. "Male Driven" forums? Are you saying this because you feel your P.I. board is male driven? Have you not seen the most recent surveys that now find that the majority of web users are now women? I won't even touch the reasoning behind why "purple" is feminine (tinky winky syndrome?)

And besides the forum was Purple before, just the background was white. It looks much nicer now and most importantly, your first thought isn't "this looks like a UBB clone".

Comment

• werehere
            • Apr 2000

David Copeland,

You seemed to have missed a little bit. You are mentioning things that are either an option that you can turn off or on (like #3), or ones that you can fully customize if you do not like them.
            We're Here Forums!
            [email protected]

Comment

• Shoe
              • May 2000

looking good

Wow! I've been away for awhile, but things are looking really good! Nice job. Much better desing than before.
              "The best time to sleep is just before waking up."

--Shoebuddy Jones

Comment

• David Copeland
                • May 2000

Werehere . . .

Thanks for the respectful reply:

Question: Where is the option to increase this message box to the prior version size?

I suspect the color Purple could be changed out manually. As for the "male driven" comment, that is a summary of a poll we have done of IPIU's private investigators, which is 54% female.

3) You dumped the html feature in our signatures, as well as the img VBulletin option to use in our signatures. If that is part of the version, I dislike it. I was able to have an animated email gif before. Now it's straight text;

Question: Why has "this" board (the support forum) dumped the html and img tag features in the sig files?

4) I like the text on the options for edit, profile, etc, rather than the earlier pictures. Newcomers need to
                read what their options are before placing the mouse cursor over the image to read what the link does;

5) I still dislike tremendously the and buttons for newcomers. I'd rather you retitle them to "Write a New Topic" and "Write a Reply" to better inform the newcomers of what the button links will accomplish. As VBulletin becomes more popular, we still find our need to teach new forum members how to push the right buttons!

Question: Is there a feature to edit the text of the above button to read "Write a New Topic" ? Or, do we need to have is designed from the ground up?

6) And as for speed, that is the most important over the other software versions out there.

7) I am sure you have added many other fine features, which I am delighted to see.

Question: Question #8 is a serious inquiry.

Thanks,

David

DAVID COPELAND
                Licensed VB Holder Since 2000
                Celebrating 22 Years with VB

Comment

• Shoe
                  • May 2000

The yellow text when you pass the cursor over a link (in other words the yellow link color) is too close to the background (white) in value and so is hard to read. You need more contrast.
                  "The best time to sleep is just before waking up."

--Shoebuddy Jones

Comment

• jamesglewisf
                    • Sep 2000

I actually like the and buttons. I'm using them on my forums until I can change them to match my color scheme better.
                    Jim Lewis
                    FrappyDoo! Forums
                    MarriedAdults.com
                    Hosting Matters (My Host)

Comment

• Sharg
                      • Jun 2000

Yes, I like them too, and I suggest the designer let us download as photoshop PSD files (with all the layers) so we can download them, and customize them to match our site at will.

Can you please do this ?

Thanks,
                      Benj

Comment

• werehere
                        • Apr 2000

Question: Where is the option to increase this message box to the prior version size?
                        I believe what you speak of is all in the templates and you can customize it however you wish to.

I suspect the color Purple could be changed out manually. As for the "male driven" comment, that is a summary of a poll we have done of IPIU's private investigators, which is 54% female.
                        Once again, this is something that can be changed by using your templates. Also, you dont have to upload all these new graphics, and just use your old ones if you wish, and reference them in your templates.

Question: Why has "this" board (the support forum) dumped the html and img tag features in the sig files?
                        Why not? I see no reason why they must enable html in sigs. That is an option of course that you could turn on in your own forum, but is their choice here.

I think you are stating that you like this feature now?

Question: Is there a feature to edit the text of the above button to read "Write a New Topic" ? Or, do we need to have is designed from the ground up?
                        If you dont like them, then change them, however you wish, or use the old version. There is no way to automatically change the text on a graphic, you obviously are going to have to edit the graphic in a graphic editor such as photoshop or fireworks, etc...

I am not quite sure what you mean by this, but speed is only one thing that is better with this forum.

Well just so you know, this is not the suggestions forum, this is the announcement forums that we are chatting in. If you have suggestions, I would suggest you post them seperately in the suggestions forum.
                        We're Here Forums!
                        [email protected]

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...