X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shoe
    • May 2000

Originally posted by Shoe
    Originally posted by hungrymonkey
    well obviously it would be stupid to use both at the same time....and also its obvious that mysql will be a supported option since its one of the only free database servers...i just want to know if mssql will be supported as well.
    Chill...I responded to what you said--not what you meant
    "The best time to sleep is just before waking up."

--Shoebuddy Jones

Comment

• TWTCommish
      • Jul 2000

Originally posted by Aquamarine
      About the "My Page" feature I mentioned before somewhere on this board, it is already working over at flashkit.com! It's their own hack though, but it works wonderfully.

Basically you find a thread you like, click the "add to favorite", and viola, it's in your "my page"!

Take a look:
      This is a discussion forum for all issues related to macromedia flash and shockwave, fireworks, development

Perl, eh? Yuck!

I'm writing a similar hack. Almost done!
      Movie Forums - Now With 28% More Bruce Willis

Comment

• wetherow
        • Sep 2000

Edit: once I posted this, I read back far enough into this forum to find a discussion already underway about subcategories! It's probably an indication of how important this feature will be in a new edition, so I'll let my letter stand, rather than just deleting it).

The subcategory question probably reflects something about the evolving use of bb systems.

p.s. do any of the existing bb systems feature subcategories?

Dave
        -------------------------
        I've already written this privately to Eva, but thought that it might be a 'new feature' suggestion (rather than a current application question):

I'm about to set up a vBulletin application (my first) for a virtual community on assistive technology for people with disabilities (the full app will include training calendars, equipment lending pool, etc.).

Here's my question: is it possible to add at least one more 'layer' (category/forum/thread > category/subcategory/forum/thread > or category/forum/subforum/thread) to vBulletin?

I'll make a concrete example:

On the current vBulletin apps that I'm seeing, I would expect to see:

- Assistive Technology Devices (category)
        -- Communication Devices (forum)
        --- "Liberator" (specific discussion thread)
        --- "How do I ...." (specific discussion thread)
        --- "When I do this..." (specific discussion thread)
        --- "The little screen broke when I..." (specific discussion thread)
        -- Mobility Devices (forum)

What I'd like to see would be:

- AT Devices (category)
        -- Communication Devices (forum)
        --- Liberator (subforum)
        ---- Liberator Programming Issues (sub/subforum)
        ----- "How do I ...." (specific discussion thread)
        ----- "When I do this..." (specific discussion thread)
        ---- Liberator Maintenance Issues (subforum)
        ----- "The little screen broke when I..." (specific discussion thread)
        -- Mobility Devices (forum)

Does that make sense?

I know I could achieve this by purchasing multiple vBulletin licenses (e.g. one for communication devices, one for mobility devices, etc.) but this would have the effect of fragmenting my community.

Finally (this is probably a separate question), is it possible for the community moderator to _re-title_ forum messages (e.g. from "Opinions needed" to "Communication partnerships - opinions needed"?

Is it possible to move a specific message from one thread or forum to another?

Thanks,
        Dave Wetherow

[Edited by wetherow on 09-30-2000 at 11:25 AM]

Comment

• Craig A
          • Apr 2000

That will be part of the next release - as was stated above.

I notice that this topic is now on page 8... kinda shows the importance of the next release, so come on guys - what's the latest news ? Will it be ready tommorrow ? Don't forget, I only live five minutes away and I have your address - I might just pop in to see if John really is working away at it, or whether he's in Ibiza!

Comment

• chrispadfield
            • Aug 2000

Craig, i am 30 mins away, we can go together.. strength in numbers

Can we at least see some beta of how far it is? something please.. how long can it take!
            Christopher Padfield
            Web Based Helpdesk
            DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

• James
              • Apr 2000

Chris

At the moment we don't have any new news to share - and we're sticking to the release schedule I posted four days ago:

At present I'm not prepared to commit to a particular release date - however, we hope to have the new version code completed within a month... it will then be another couple of weeks of internal testing and tweaking before we release the final version officially.
              We may consider releasing a beta version, but it will be at least a month away.

Craig (Re: co-branding)

The co-branding feature will work by looking for a variable on the url query_string, and assigning this value to the user's record in the database. This database value will then be used to select a set of templates / styles to use - that's the extent of my knowledge on this subject

hungrymonkey

We have no plans to offer support for any other database engine (mssql, Oracle, Sybase) in the next version.

Mas*Mind

I believe that John is planning to integrate some kind of "usergrouping by post count" feature.

Re: templates

The upgrade will not require any manual editing of the templates.

While I'm not involved with the development enough to post a daily update, I'll try and keep everyone informed of our progress.

All the best,

James
              James Limm

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                Former vBulletin Developer
                • May 2000
                • 1.1.x

Originally posted by wetherow

Finally (this is probably a separate question), is it possible for the community moderator to _re-title_ forum messages (e.g. from "Opinions needed" to "Communication partnerships - opinions needed"?
                Yes by the Admin Edit link at the bottom of the thread

Is it possible to move a specific message from one thread or forum to another?
                Yes by the Admin Move link at the bottom of the thread

Comment

• chrispadfield
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by James
                  Chris
                  Re: templates

The upgrade will not require any manual editing of the templates.
                  What do you mean by this? Are the templates not changing at all (i don't see how this is possible as links to private messaging, polls etc must be in the teamplates?) or do you mean that the templates will just all over over written. If not there must be manual editing must it not?

Thanks, looking forward to the middle of next month.
                  Christopher Padfield
                  Web Based Helpdesk

Comment

• James
                    • Apr 2000

Hi Chris,

Oops - yes, you are quite correct... some new variables will need to be added to existing templates manually.

I was trying to address the concern that the upgrade utility will forcefully overwrite templates without admin approval - which of course will not be the case

All the best,

James
                    James Limm

Comment

• chrispadfield
                      • Aug 2000

Thank you James.

On this, do you know how big the templates change is going to be. I think i heard somewhere that they was going to be quite a big change to them? Is this the case? The reason i am asking is that i am currently making my templates now but will not get work that much of them if there are going to be significant changes and i need to start again.

In the end what i am asking is, is it going to be easy enough to add the extra bits in manually or do you think we will be best to start again?
                      Christopher Padfield
                      Web Based Helpdesk

Comment

• hungrymonkey
                        • Aug 2000

in the very post thread , john mentioned possible support with alternative databases..has this been dropped entirely then? or has it just been postponed? it's not a big deal, i just would prefer to be able to run a single database system rather then 2, as i prefer using ms sql for my own databases.

Comment

• George L
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • May 2000
                          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by James
                          Hi Chris,

Oops - yes, you are quite correct... some new variables will need to be added to existing templates manually.

I was trying to address the concern that the upgrade utility will forcefully overwrite templates without admin approval - which of course will not be the case

All the best,

James
                          this is good news ... i am gonna be moving server and maybe remove all my hacks so as to make the upgrade easier... already started removing some of them already due to forum problems
                          :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                          :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                          :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• russellwarshay
                            • Sep 2000

What about LDAP integration?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by hungrymonkey
                              in the very post thread , john mentioned possible support with alternative databases..has this been dropped entirely then? or has it just been postponed? it's not a big deal, i just would prefer to be able to run a single database system rather then 2, as i prefer using ms sql for my own databases.
                              This shouldn't be hard to change on your own. PHP4 supports SQL Server natively. All you have to do is change all the mysql calls to the appropriate SQL Server calls. Since there are no stored procedures, subselects or other advanced features in MySQL you won't have to change much, if anything, on the database side
                              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• JohnM
                                • May 2000

Look at this:

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...