Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To quote a comment

Hello,

Many people started using comments under a post. Sometimes long, and sometimes unrelated to the original post at all. So I would like to be able to quote a comment and create a new normal post with it, the same way I can quote a regular post. Is it something that is planed for the future, or do I have to hire someone to get it done?

Please let me know.

Thanks

There are no plans to add quoting in comments. They are designed to be short, quick replies.
    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.1 Demo
    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
      There are no plans to add quoting in comments. They are designed to be short, quick replies.
      I understand that, but normal users don't. You won't explain them that. They are using it as it was just a regular post. With the quote option I could get them out of the comments and use a normal post.

Comment

• In Omnibus
        In Omnibus commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd tell them to repost their replies as posts and disable comments. I always disable comments for this reason.

You can manually use the [quote][/quote] BBCode. Highlight the comment with your mouse, CTRL-C, CTRL-V into your reply.

Other than that, you would need a modification. Maybe Glenn over at https://vbmods.rocks can provide something.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
      I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

See, now I could just quote In Omnibus's comment here and respond in normal post. But I can't. That's not good.

I wanted to disable comments right from beginning, but I couldn't, because when I did, it was causing another error with uploading images. So if i wanted to have images, I had to have comments too. After about 5 years they fixed that problem but it is too late now. People got used to them.

Comment

I'd tell them to repost their replies as posts and disable comments. I always disable comments for this reason.
          hmmm....
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
          vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
          I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

• In Omnibus
            In Omnibus commented
            Editing a comment
            The idea of comments was a good one in theory but in practice they are never used as intended. It seriously derails a discussion when one person replies to a post and the next replies to the post as a comment and the next replies to the comment as a post without the ability to quote specifically to what they are replying. It's far easier to follow discussions if you require people to quote specifically that to which they are replying. I use comments as a staff only tool in case moderators want to discuss something about a specific post. Comments are not visible to regular members. I find this serves my purposes but I would never suggest what I do serves every purpose.

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post

hmmm....
          And how will people know from whom the quote came from, and when, or who you are actually quoting? And sometimes the comment is so long that I quote just the beginning and the rest people can read from the original comment because in the quote, there is a link to the original comment (Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post),.

Comment

Originally posted by medved View Post

And how will people know from whom the quote came from, and when, or who you are actually quoting? And sometimes the comment is so long that I quote just the beginning and the rest people can read from the original comment because in the quote, there is a link to the original comment (Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post),.
            Wayne's suggestion is a workaround. As I mentioned, comments were not designed to be quotable and to get that functionality you would need to hire a third party coder such as https://vbmods.rocks, as Wayne suggested.
            MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.1 Demo
            AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

• medved
              medved commented
              Editing a comment
              I already posted there. The workaround, of course i know I can do that, but it is not good enough.

OK, I have a solution for that from Glenn. It is in .xml file. I have a quote selected text mod. But how can I install it on the website? Please let me know. Thanks.

Comment

I think I manged to do it.

Comment

This feature you should have long ago. You have to listen to you customers. Else you will loose them.

Comment