Facebook selects user's avatars for featured images

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook selects user's avatars for featured images

I would just like to use this thread to report a really annoying issue. Technically, it's not a bug, but it really is a huge issue when it comes to people sharing content around the web. Getting people to share your content on social media can literally be the difference between success and failure for a brand new site these days. It's impossible to stress how important social media has unfortunately become for webmasters.

When a Vbulletin forum topic gets shared on social media like Facebook, I'm noticing that a random user's avatar often gets selected as the default "featured image."

This is especially problematic when the picture being shown on social media is a picture of someone's face who just happens to be online at the time or is a poster in the thread. Your average social media user isn't going to take the time to sort through the gallery to post a relevant image (and a relevant image might not even appear). If they want to share something, it's going to be copy->paste->post without worry at all about what picture shows.

This responsibility falls squarely on the webmaster.

Still think this is not important?

Social Photos Generate More Engagement: New Research

I would like to suggest that Vbulletin please at least give the option to upload a global open-graph image (generic site logo) for all shared vbulletin pages on social media if a way of intelligently selecting a proper and relevant featured image for threads, blogs and CMS articles is not possible.

Please vote for this issue if you think it's important.

http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-15455

Comment

Voted.

Comment

Gravatar or similar would make sense. Voted.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X