• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dragon2203
    • Feb 2019
    • 5.0.x

Mysql database migration problem

Hi,

I have a few issues testing our upgrade.

We have our Forum running on vb4 at the moment. Before upgrading to vb5 I wanted to test some things and adjust styles, etc. Therefore I installed vb5 in a seperate folder to test run it seperately while the old forum is running normal. I made a Backup of the mysql database of the vb4 Forum via phpmyadmin, created a new sperate database and imported the Backup of our database to test the correct migration.

I followed all the installation steps and everything worked correctly. The vb5 version itself is running propperly but the database wasn´t imported correctly as there is nothing on the site.

I edited correctly both configs and the htacces is correct too.
    I had a look in the old vb4 config. There was used the table prefix "vb4_" So I inserted this prefix too in the vb5 config as I want to use the old database and not starting a new one. Should be correct ?

So I think I must be doing something wrong during the install wizard of vbulletin.

Immediately at the beginning of the installation of vbulletin I get the message that the connection to the database was successfull, so up to this point everything seems good.
    After that I am asked to see the clearing options of the content in the database.

From now on I´m not really sure what to do to make a correct import of the database.

I get this message :

Automatically there are a few vb4 tables preselected.

So I already tried to select all and delete all the selected tables, but after that the forum was empty and all the information lost.

So I created a new database with a new import of the untouched Backup and started again from the beginning. But this time I continued with the preselected options. I thought perhaps it is deleting just the vb4 Information which is not needed anymore. But after that the forum was again empty.

So I created again a new database and gave it a new try again. This time I deselected everything, so all the tables were kept. At this point I got immediately this message:

I can skip 1 or 2 of those Messages until the point the install wizard notices that some of the tables already exist and the installation is interrupted.

As you notice I´m not that good in the usage of mysql, but for normal usage and Maintenance of our Forum I always managed to get things done.
    But now I´m a bit lost and I hope you can help me even if the solution is perhaps very simple.

Kind regards,
    Nico
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

You need to run upgrade.php to perform an upgrade.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Dragon2203
      • Feb 2019
      • 5.0.x

I’ve alteady tried to make an upgrade but when I type in the Url install/upgrade.php it automatically jumps to install/install.php and starts the normal installation

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

Is there a vb4_user table in the database? If not, then you have an incomplete database and you won't be able to upgrade it.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Dragon2203
          • Feb 2019
          • 5.0.x

I just had a look and it seems that the import didn‘t work correctly. There are not all the tables imported. A lot is missing like the user table.

Is it better to try the backup and import with a separate program ? Perhaps the problem comes from phpmyadmin

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            • Aug 2000

Any web based program will be problematic if your database is larger than 50 or so megabytes. You should restore the database using the command line functions of MySQL.

This is what I use:

mysql - u username -p
            >>Enter Password<<
            create database databasename;
            use databasename;
            source path/to/databasename.sql

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Dragon2203
              • Feb 2019
              • 5.0.x

Thank you. The problem came from the import/export of the database. Using the command line solved the problem as now the database got extracted comnpletely.

Comment