vBulletin 4.5 to 5.4.4

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    You shouldn't have to upgrade your live site before migration. That can be done as part of the migration service.

Leave a comment:

• JChaz
    replied
    Well I stuck with it, bit the bullet and had another go on a test server

Followed the help article from Wayne again as before with a few tweaks at the server side

Cleared out all the files and database from the test server,
    Created a new database user to match the one on the live site.
    Created a new database and restored the copy of live database previously downloaded into the new database.
    Copied the new files remaed and edited as per instructions

Ran the upgrade using the corect URL this time, which ran through in about 10 minutes (benefits of a fast local connection I guess)

Deleted the Install folder and the tried getting into AdminCP - same as before, didn't get past the login.

Followed the instructions erloier in this thread to use tools.php

Used tools.php to activate the site, also used the tools to check cookies and a few other paths that I though might not be right.

Logged into the forum as myself and could see everything was looking good. Couldn't get to AdminCP however, but at least I could get logged into the forum this time.

Then I had to go do some teaching for a few hours, came back and checked it again. This time I'm able to get into AdminCP - don't kow how - or what changed while I was away, but everything is looking good.

So now satisfied that the forum will upgrade to v5 without too many problems.

Question I ask now is do I upgrade the live site or wait its migrated to the cloud?

Thanks for the help & support

John

Leave a comment:

• JChaz
    replied
    Fair enough, I was just making sure the site is ready for the move to v5 so that the move is as easy as possible. I suspect all the problems I've had are with setting up a test site. I'm fairly confident that the site will have no problems. Might just strip everything out of my test server and have one more go at it.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Don't know what the issue is. We would need access to the database. If you're planning on moving your site to vB Cloud, this is really an unnecessary step.

Leave a comment:

• JChaz
    replied
    Hi Wayne, yes its my user that has access to admincp, but not only can I not log in, (I can't log into the forum either) but the login box just keeps coming back - if I put incorrect credentials in, I do get the "incorrect username or password" type message, so it seems to recognise the credentials, but not load the admincp.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by JChaz
    However I still can't log in just keeps returning to the log in.
    This usually means the user doesn't have permission to access the AdminCP for some reason. Are you using the information for the correct user?

Leave a comment:

• JChaz
    replied
    Thanks Mark, very useful. I followed that and the admincp does run from http://ubuntu-dev/SWSF/admincp

However I still can't log in just keeps returning to the log in. The URL looked correct and is set to http://ubuntu-dev/SWSF

I put tools back on as I noticed there was a "Switch forum on" so did that and can see the forum now, but unable to log in - it seems to be totally open so no restrictions being set for users all forums totally open. Its something to do with logging in that is stopping things working - otherwise everything is laid out correctly in v5 except images:

Images which resolve to external URL's such as photobucket are displayed
    Images which have been uploaded to the forum are not, this is an example of the path of an image not being displayed:

Last edited by JChaz; Tue 26 Feb '19, 5:43am.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    Originally posted by JChaz
    Thanks Mark, both config files are set to bb which is the same as my live site, but not on the same domain.

I've got the test site running on an Ubuntu server off-line.

Created a new database on the server with the credetials on the new database set to root & a newpassword
    Restored the vB4 Database over the new one.
    Edited the config.php file to reflect new username/password of database plus other details as per the help aticle
    Run the upgrade
    Sorted the rewrites problem as per post from Wayne
    Checked cookies on both config.php files as per your post
    Tried logging in to AdminCP but it goes no-where so can't turn forum back on to view.
    You need to have the URL settings in the admincp pointing at the correct domain and path.

This will need to be done using tools.php at this stage.

1) Upload /core/install
    2) Upload tools.php in your do_not_upload directory to /core/admincp
    3) Run /core/admincp/tools.php in your browser and enter your customer number
    4) Go to Other Tools > Location of Website
    5) Enter the correct URL, make sure the core URL option is ticked, and save
    6) Verify that the site loads ok
    7) Delete /core/admincp/tools.php
    8) Delete /core/install
    9) Verify that the admincp works ok, WITHOUT /core/ in the URL

Leave a comment:

• JChaz
    replied
    Thanks Mark, both config files are set to bb which is the same as my live site, but not on the same domain.

I've got the test site running on an Ubuntu server off-line.

Created a new database on the server with the credetials on the new database set to root & a newpassword
    Restored the vB4 Database over the new one.
    Edited the config.php file to reflect new username/password of database plus other details as per the help aticle
    Run the upgrade
    Sorted the rewrites problem as per post from Wayne
    Checked cookies on both config.php files as per your post
    Tried logging in to AdminCP but it goes no-where so can't turn forum back on to view.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    Make sure the cookie prefix is set the same in both config files. These should also be different from your live site if on the same domain.

Leave a comment:

• JChaz
    replied
    >Your browser must be pre-filling the fields. The login screen doesn't have access to the variables that connect to the database.

Confirmed, using different browser is not pre-filling fields, but I still can't log in to admicp. It looks like its accepting my username/password but just flicks straight back to the login screen. If i type anything else it warns that the credetials are incorrect.

Beginning to think the test site is a step too far and tempted to just run the upgrade on the live site with a backup of files and database?

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Your browser must be pre-filling the fields. The login screen doesn't have access to the variables that connect to the database.

Leave a comment:

• JChaz
    replied
    >You shouldn't have to change your installation. If you get the rewrites working, the site should just start working.

Yes, its now formatted correctly, but I can't now log in to AdminCP to switch the forum back on, using the same credentials as I use on the live site. AdminCP is pre-lodaed with the database username/password for some reason, but changing that to my admin user credentials fails?

I changed the database usename/password to username=root & a new password on the test server and edited the config.php file to reflect these credentials on the test server, but strangely the when AdminCP launches its got the live site username/password in the login box - have I done this wrong?
    Last edited by JChaz; Mon 25 Feb '19, 3:30am.

Leave a comment:

• JChaz
    replied
    Ah, that is good news, many thanks for the support Wayne, will post back when I've checked it out.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    You shouldn't have to change your installation. If you get the rewrites working, the site should just start working.

Leave a comment: