X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JChaz
    • Oct 2013
    • 4.2.x

vBulletin 4.5 to 5.4.4

I'm trying to set up a test site to try out the upgrade process.

I have a local server with php 7.2 & MySQL v 5.7.25 (stand alone server no internet connection)

I'm using 5.4.4 as the host server (which will be the live update when tested) is php 5.6 and MySQL v 5.6, I run the server test file vbtest.php and all OK

I have changed URLs etc and have a recoverd the database onto the server

Extracted all files from the download and copied all the files from the upload folder to an empty root folder & added 3 folders instructions say to (customgroupicons, customprrofilepics & signaturepics)

Reading through the install/upgrade it says to run
    Example: http://mytestweb/install/upgrade.php

This is odd as there is no install folder at the root - its in the core folder, which once I figured out the install opens a page asking for all database details - I copy those from the old config.php file and hit create files and I get this message:

File Creation Complete.

Delete makeconfig.php file now, then begin installation.

This file is in the core\install folder, tried deleting tis file but the upgrade does not continue and re-loading browser does not continue the upgrade. I see someone else had a similar problem on an earlier version but in their caser the upgrade coninued.
    Last edited by JChaz; Fri 22 Feb '19, 7:27am.
  • JChaz
    • Oct 2013
    • 4.2.x

Update: Followed another upgrade article found here, seems that the instructions included in the new product are missing quite a few steps if Waynes article is anything to go by.

Followed all of Waynes steps and got the upgrade to run, but using the path to include .... /core/install/upgrade.php

The upgrade appears to have completed successfully and have deleted the install folder. But now I've entered username/password browser routes to:

Which resolves to the error:

The requested URL /SWSF/login.php was not found on this server.

Any ideas?

Comment

• In Omnibus
      • Apr 2010

Did you rename the htaccess.txt files? Did you rename the config.php.bkp file?

Comment

• JChaz
        • Oct 2013
        • 4.2.x

>Did you rename the htaccess.txt files? Did you rename the config.php.bkp file?

Hi, yes those were renamed and edited the config.php file which is in includes folder, as well as renaming the config.php at the root folder, but didn't edit this one, is that correct?

Here is a screen shot:

You can see that the forum is off from the database changes before taking a backup, but can't get into AdminCP after the upgrade on the test server site.

Click image for larger version  Name:	screenshot.JPG Views:	1 Size:	63.3 KB ID:	4409144

To get to the AdminCP I have to type SWSF/Core/admincp

But logging in fails with The requested URL /SWSF/login.php was not found on this server.

If I add core to the path above I get the screen in the screen shot above.
        Last edited by JChaz; Fri 22 Feb '19, 7:37am.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by JChaz
          Followed all of Waynes steps and got the upgrade to run, but using the path to include .... /core/install/upgrade.php
          If you properly rename htaccess.txt to .htaccess when you configure the files for your server, then install/upgrade.php will automatically redirect to /core/install/upgrade.php.

This is because you really shouldn't have to access anything in the /core/ directory directly from the browser.

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            • Aug 2000

Hi, yes those were renamed and edited the config.php file which is in includes folder, as well as renaming the config.php at the root folder, but didn't edit this one, is that correct?

You can see that the forum is off from the database changes before taking a backup, but can't get into AdminCP after the upgrade on the test server site.

To get to the AdminCP I have to type SWSF/Core/admincp

But logging in fails with The requested URL /SWSF/login.php was not found on this server.

If I add core to the path above I get the screen in the screen shot above.
            Rewrites aren't working in your forum. URL Rewrite functionality is Required. You should never have to use /core/ for anything on a properly configured server.

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
            After installing vBulletin 5, my site is unformatted
            This means that URL Rewriting is not working on your site. Possible causes include:
            • htaccess.txt has not been renamed to .htaccess (the leading period is important)
            • mod_rewrite is not installed for Apache 2.4
            • URL Rewrite is not installed for IIS 8.5+
            • The server configuration for NGINX has not been updated. See the file for your version of PHP within the do_not_upload folder.
            • AllowOverride is not allowed in the Apache configuration file.
            You hosting provider can help you get the ability to rewrite URLS working on your site.
            Your issue is most likely the last bulletpoint.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• JChaz
              • Oct 2013
              • 4.2.x

Thanks Wayne, I'll check out the "AllowOverride is not allowed in the Apache configuration file." Monday when I have access to the test server again. Will I have to strip everything back and start again? not a problem to do so if needed. Thinking probably it might be good to do that anyhow so I get the correct experience of the upgrade running.

I'm doing this so that I can at least get to v5 before moving to vBulletin Cloud, although I know the support team would do it on moving over, just trying to cut down on any issues that may occur prior to the move.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

You shouldn't have to change your installation. If you get the rewrites working, the site should just start working.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• JChaz
                  • Oct 2013
                  • 4.2.x

Ah, that is good news, many thanks for the support Wayne, will post back when I've checked it out.

Comment

• JChaz
                    • Oct 2013
                    • 4.2.x

>You shouldn't have to change your installation. If you get the rewrites working, the site should just start working.

Yes, its now formatted correctly, but I can't now log in to AdminCP to switch the forum back on, using the same credentials as I use on the live site. AdminCP is pre-lodaed with the database username/password for some reason, but changing that to my admin user credentials fails?

I changed the database usename/password to username=root & a new password on the test server and edited the config.php file to reflect these credentials on the test server, but strangely the when AdminCP launches its got the live site username/password in the login box - have I done this wrong?
                    Last edited by JChaz; Mon 25 Feb '19, 3:30am.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      • Aug 2000

Your browser must be pre-filling the fields. The login screen doesn't have access to the variables that connect to the database.

Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• JChaz
                        • Oct 2013
                        • 4.2.x

>Your browser must be pre-filling the fields. The login screen doesn't have access to the variables that connect to the database.

Confirmed, using different browser is not pre-filling fields, but I still can't log in to admicp. It looks like its accepting my username/password but just flicks straight back to the login screen. If i type anything else it warns that the credetials are incorrect.

Beginning to think the test site is a step too far and tempted to just run the upgrade on the live site with a backup of files and database?

Comment

• Mark.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          • Feb 2004
                          • 6.0.X

Make sure the cookie prefix is set the same in both config files. These should also be different from your live site if on the same domain.
                          MARK.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          ------------
                          My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                          My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• JChaz
                            • Oct 2013
                            • 4.2.x

Thanks Mark, both config files are set to bb which is the same as my live site, but not on the same domain.

I've got the test site running on an Ubuntu server off-line.

Created a new database on the server with the credetials on the new database set to root & a newpassword
                            Restored the vB4 Database over the new one.
                            Edited the config.php file to reflect new username/password of database plus other details as per the help aticle
                            Run the upgrade
                            Sorted the rewrites problem as per post from Wayne
                            Checked cookies on both config.php files as per your post
                            Tried logging in to AdminCP but it goes no-where so can't turn forum back on to view.

Comment

• Mark.B
                              vBulletin Support
                              • Feb 2004
                              • 6.0.X

Thanks Mark, both config files are set to bb which is the same as my live site, but not on the same domain.

I've got the test site running on an Ubuntu server off-line.

Created a new database on the server with the credetials on the new database set to root & a newpassword
                              Restored the vB4 Database over the new one.
                              Edited the config.php file to reflect new username/password of database plus other details as per the help aticle
                              Run the upgrade
                              Sorted the rewrites problem as per post from Wayne
                              Checked cookies on both config.php files as per your post
                              Tried logging in to AdminCP but it goes no-where so can't turn forum back on to view.
                              You need to have the URL settings in the admincp pointing at the correct domain and path.

This will need to be done using tools.php at this stage.

1) Upload /core/install
                              2) Upload tools.php in your do_not_upload directory to /core/admincp
                              3) Run /core/admincp/tools.php in your browser and enter your customer number
                              4) Go to Other Tools > Location of Website
                              5) Enter the correct URL, make sure the core URL option is ticked, and save
                              6) Verify that the site loads ok
                              7) Delete /core/admincp/tools.php
                              8) Delete /core/install
                              9) Verify that the admincp works ok, WITHOUT /core/ in the URL
                              MARK.B
                              vBulletin Support
                              ------------
                              My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                              My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment