Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RockShockPop
    • Dec 2010

vBulletin 5.4.5 Upgrade Problems

So I tried, this afternoon, to upgrade to vB 5.4.5 from vB 4. I followed the instructions here included with the install files (vb5_connect_5-4-5_VBS9E535E6/vb5readme.html).

I cleared out the forums directory except for the folders I was told to keep (attachments, etc).

When I went here: http://www.sitename.com/forums/install/upgrade.php I got a 505 error.

When I went here: http://www.sitename.com/forums/core/install/install.php I got the error you see in the attached image but it allows me to enter the customer # and continue.

When I do that, I get this:

"Due to the following errors, the install/upgrade can not continue:
    Error description: 2: mysqli_real_connect(): (HY000/1045): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO)
    The database has failed to connect because you do not have permission to connect to the server. Please confirm the values entered in the core/includes/config.php file"

I talked to the host, they have confirmed that the server has all the required software installed and that file permissions are set so as to allow a vBulletin install/upgrade. They don't know why this is happening, and for that matter, neither do I. The upgrade directions don't make mention of having to edit the config.php file so I'm not sure why it's erroring out.

Any suggestions? I'm not a coder and was hoping that the directions included with the upgrade files would get me through this, but nope - thankfully I did a full backup before trying this!

• Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

This error means that the database credentials in /core/includes/config.php are not correct.

You will need to check these with your host.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• RockShockPop
      • Dec 2010

Is there any documentation showing specifically what needs to be amended in that file?

For what it's worth, the instructions that came with the install files make no mention of this at all.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Directly from the vb5readme.html file-

Manually editing the config.php files

Occasionally, the Configuration Builder tool will fail to write your config.php files. When this happens you will need to edit the files manually. If you're still on the Configuration Builder tool, you can copy and paste the contents of each window into their respective files and save. If not, you will need to manually edit the files using a text editor. Do so following these steps:
        1. In your vbulletin_root find the file named config.php.bkp. Rename it to config.php using your FTP client.
        2. In your vbulletin_core enter the includes folder. Look for a file named config.php.new. Rename it to config.php. You will need to edit this file. If you're using Filezilla, open the context menu (right-click in Windows) and choose "View/Edit File". It will ask you what application to use. We recommend Notepad++ or Wordpad.
        3. You will need to update several values in this file in order to connect to your database and receive error emails. These are:
          • Database Name: $config['Database']['dbname'] = 'forum'; Replace forum with your database name.
          • Server Name: $config['MasterServer']['servername'] = 'localhost'; Replace localhost with your servername if required by your hosting provider.
          • Server Port: $config['MasterServer']['port'] = 3306; Change 3306 with the port number that your hosting company provides, if any. Otherwise don't change this.
          • Database User Name: $config['MasterServer']['username'] = 'root'; Replace root with your database user name.
          • Database User Password: $config['MasterServer']['password'] = ''; Place your database user password between the quotes.
          • Technical Email $config['Database']['technicalemail'] = '[email protected]'; Replace [email protected] with your email address. If you don't know any of these values, you will need to contact your hosting provider to obtain them. vBulletin Technical Support does not have this information.
        4. After making your changes save your file.
        5. Return to your FTP client and upload the file to your server. If you're using FileZilla and it was running in the background, it will automatically prompt to upload the updated file.
        6. Once this is completed, you can return to Step 8 of Running the Install Wizard.
        This information is also available in this topic here: https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...etin-5-connect
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

The 505 error is most likely caused by not renaming htaccess.txt to .htaccess (the leading period is important and required).
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• RockShockPop
            • Dec 2010

Thanks. I did rename the .htaccess file but the config.php file could be the issue (those directions are in the readme file, as you note, but not under the 'upgrade' portion which is what I skipped to).

Appreciate the help. Will post again if I run into further issues.

Comment