Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dxw
    • Aug 2009

5.4.5: Not sending mail

In a previous posting I discovered a number of problems due to file permissions … resetting to 0644 (from a default of 0664) fixed those problems.
    Now my site installed, sort of, and I am working through setup details.

I'm wanting to use new-user email verification but I am unable to get vBulletin to send out an email.
    First I tried with the default details, that did not send anything out.
    I then changed cpanel > Settings > Options > Email Options to use the mail facilities of my web-server, and again received nothing.
    Then I changed to a gmail account, and input the SMTP (TLS etc) settings for that. Again no joy.

I am not receiving any site error messages, which makes me think that this is not a file permissions issue.

Is there likely to be a PHP file somewhere in my forums directories, overseeing this entire process, that perhaps changing the permissions for will help? I see email.php in the admincp directory.
    Is there something else I need to do to get my mail functionality up and running?
  • dxw
    • Aug 2009

It tells me ….
    Warning: fsockopen(): unable to connect to ssl://smtp.gmail.com:465 (Connection refused) in .../vb/mail/smtp.php on line 191 Warning: Unable to connect to SMTP server in .../vb/mail/smtp.php on line 157

Much the same with various other SMTP settings for email.

If I switch off SMTP email and test using the diagnostics panel, it reports the mail as having been sent … but nothing arrives.
    Last edited by dxw; Fri 7 Dec '18, 8:46pm.

Comment

• Mark.B
      vBulletin Support
      • Feb 2004
      • 6.0.X

Connection refused means those servers are actually refusing the connection. The settings will be incorrect in some way.
      MARK.B
      vBulletin Support
      ------------
      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Make sure that you have OPENSSL installed on the server and that is available as a PHP Library.
        For GMail try port 567 and TLS.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• dxw
          • Aug 2009

Thanks. I have chased up with hosting admin and am now receiving vBulletin mails via SMTP with SSL. Also currently working through some tutorials written by that Wayne Luke guy … THANKS!!!

Now, onwards to my next stumbling block.

At least I am old enough to remember software taking such a long time to install … although I do shudder when website 'help' pages refer me to vi :-)

Comment