5.4.5: Not sending mail

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.4.5: Not sending mail

In a previous posting I discovered a number of problems due to file permissions resetting to 0644 (from a default of 0664) fixed those problems.
    Now my site installed, sort of, and I am working through setup details.

I'm wanting to use new-user email verification but I am unable to get vBulletin to send out an email.
    First I tried with the default details, that did not send anything out.
    I then changed cpanel > Settings > Options > Email Options to use the mail facilities of my web-server, and again received nothing.
    Then I changed to a gmail account, and input the SMTP (TLS etc) settings for that. Again no joy.

I am not receiving any site error messages, which makes me think that this is not a file permissions issue.

Is there likely to be a PHP file somewhere in my forums directories, overseeing this entire process, that perhaps changing the permissions for will help? I see email.php in the admincp directory.
    Is there something else I need to do to get my mail functionality up and running?

It tells me .
    Warning: fsockopen(): unable to connect to ssl://smtp.gmail.com:465 (Connection refused) in .../vb/mail/smtp.php on line 191 Warning: Unable to connect to SMTP server in .../vb/mail/smtp.php on line 157

Much the same with various other SMTP settings for email.

If I switch off SMTP email and test using the diagnostics panel, it reports the mail as having been sent but nothing arrives.
    Last edited by dxw; Fri 7th Dec '18, 9:46pm.

Comment

Connection refused means those servers are actually refusing the connection. The settings will be incorrect in some way.
      MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.0 Demo
      AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Make sure that you have OPENSSL installed on the server and that is available as a PHP Library.
        For GMail try port 567 and TLS.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
        I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

Thanks. I have chased up with hosting admin and am now receiving vBulletin mails via SMTP with SSL. Also currently working through some tutorials written by that Wayne Luke guy THANKS!!!

Now, onwards to my next stumbling block.

At least I am old enough to remember software taking such a long time to install although I do shudder when website 'help' pages refer me to vi :-)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X