Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UKCobra
    • Aug 2002

Unable to turn forums back on after upgrade from v4.2.5 to 5.4.1

I have upgraded following the advice given here, thanks :-)
    No errors on the upgrade process, all completed with no deviations from the install script.

However, when I log in as Admin, and click on Edit Site to ON. I am getting intermittent behaviour from the floating Menu at the top, AND I have not been able to find where to switch the forums back on.
    Sometimes clicking on the Style or Channel or any other menu item, it fails to work. Mostly they do not work.

I get the Red Banner : Alert: The forums are currently turned off!

I am also getting errors to my email account indicating
    MySQL Error : Table 'mocgb10_ukcobra.post' doesn't exist
    Error Number : 1146

also getting
    MySQL Error : Table 'mocgb10_ukcobra.thread' doesn't exist

When I look through the forum data, it has transferred all the new users, posts, threads etc.
    So I am confused, as to what step I missed, and how it got to this.

I have a full backup of the site, taken this morning at 07:30am, so I can roll back if I need to .

What suggestions are there of what I can do ?

Thanks
    Mark

Webmaster - Mustang Owners Club of Great Britain
  • UKCobra
    • Aug 2002

I also copied the Custom Avatars and attachments etc , but these have not appeared to have been migrated. Wondering if I need to confirm the location in the filesystem, once I can get into an ADMINCP that works ?

Comment

• UKCobra
      • Aug 2002

Getting some weird formatting when trying to edit the forum control panel. However, never get to anything that remotely looked like the VB4 Control Panel.

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

Firstly, make sure you have renamed the file htaccess.txt to .htaccess
        Note the 'dot' at the start.
        This is an essential step and vB5 will not function without it.

Secondly, did you remove ALL vB4 files (except for user generated images such as attachments and avatars, if they are stored in the file system) before the upgrade?
        This again is an essential step. vB5's file structure is completely different to vB4's and the two cannot co-exist.

Finally, just a small point, although the admincp is based on the layout of vB4, please don't expect any areas of vB5 - either front end or admincp - to look the same as vB4. This is a major upgrade and the two products are completely different. Without seeing screenshots it's difficult to interpret what you are seeing though.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------
        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• UKCobra
          • Aug 2002

Hi Mark,
          Thanks for the prompt response.
          What I did was this :
          Upload VB5 to a new directory.
          Copied Custom Avatars, attachments and anything else stored in the filesystem to the new VB5 directory.
          I did rename the .htaccess and store it in the right location.
          The OLD Forums directory /forums has been renamed to something else. The physical files are still on the server.

I have managed to access the AdminCP, basically removing all the references I had to a renamed ADMIN and MOD CP area, so the folder names are back to how they were from the upload file, and the config.php now expects a standard madcap name.

I have now got access to the AdminCP, and I am rebuilding search indexes, and performing the recommended next steps.

Once those jobs are done, I will have a look at the attachments etc.

My main issue was trying to preserve the unique modcp and admincp folder location names, which was done by my hosting company back in 2011, when the site was hacked.

I'll activate the forum once the maintenance tasks are done.

I'll probably separate out each other issue as a separate thread to keep the resolution information aligned with the thread topic.
          I did add a screenshot, but on two occasions it would not add it / display it.
          Last edited by UKCobra; Sat 28 Apr '18, 3:56am.

Comment

• Mark.B
            vBulletin Support
            • Feb 2004
            • 6.0.X

vBulletin 5 does not support renaming the admincp and modcp, this facility was removed. It just causes problems and offers no additional security whatsoever.

Indeed, the vBulletin 5 config file does not have any option to set these. Make sure you are using the vB5 copy of the file, you cannot use the old vB4 one.

If you need additional security on the admincp, vB has two factor authentication available for this. It's turned on via the config file.
            vBulletin 5.3.0 and higher will allow site owners to enable Two-Factor Authentication for Administrator and Moderator functionality. This is an extra layer of security provided to make sure your user data
            MARK.B
            vBulletin Support
            ------------
            My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
            My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment