Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UKCobra
    • Aug 2002

Confused - Preparing an upgrade from 4.2.5 to VB5

I am preparing for a move to VB5 from 4.2.5 and am reading the Manual and Sticky guides and I am a little confused about how to best achieve a seamless migration.

Given that previous upgrades require a simple, upload of the files into the existing directories and running the upgrade script I was hoping for a similar easy approach.

My research has thrown up some inconsistent upgrade recommendations.

The manual looks to continue this practice and described here : https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/...e_preparefiles

Whereas the sticky here https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...ll-vbulletin-5

appears to say not to overwrite any 4.X files and install into a fresh directory, although this was written in 2012. This is not mentioned in the manual at all.

So this has confused me somewhat as following the online manual has always proved to be a safe guide in my experience.

Is there a definitive guide for upgrading from 4 to 5 ?

Thanks
    Webmaster - Mustang Owners Club of Great Britain
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

It is mentioned in the manual. There should be a specific article on upgrading from 3.x or 4.x. The topic link you mentioned is correct. You need to install vB5 files in an empty directory. Edit your new /core/includes/confit.php to point to the database you want to upgrade and the run the upgrade script. It will take a while to process. If it times out, just reload the page and it will pick up where it left off.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

Please read the first note on this page.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• UKCobra
        • Aug 2002

Thanks Wayne.
        So it's now clear to me that I need to upload VB5 files to a fresh directory.
        Would it be acceptable to Rename the existing VB4 directory to something else to preserve the files. eg forum to old-forum ?
        Create a replacement folder called forum and upload the VB5 files there.
        I want to preserve the file location for VB and ensure Bookmarks and website links to the forum are not broken.
        Webmaster - Mustang Owners Club of Great Britain

Comment

• Mark.B
          vBulletin Support
          • Feb 2004
          • 6.0.X

Originally posted by UKCobra
          Thanks Wayne.
          So it's now clear to me that I need to upload VB5 files to a fresh directory.
          Would it be acceptable to Rename the existing VB4 directory to something else to preserve the files. eg forum to old-forum ?
          Create a replacement folder called forum and upload the VB5 files there.
          I want to preserve the file location for VB and ensure Bookmarks and website links to the forum are not broken.
          Yes you can but watch out if you have attachments, avatars etc stored in the file system as you'll need to copy those across to the new location BEFORE running the upgrade script.

URL structures change in vB5 but if you were using one of the default vB4 URL structures then they will redirect to the new ones. Note this doesn't apply to anything that alters the default URLs , eg vBSEO.
          MARK.B
          vBulletin Support
          ------------
          My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
          My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment