X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kacghia
    • Jul 2016
    • 4.2.x

Removing Attachment uploads

I was trying to disable the full use of the attachments so a user does not see it as an option at all. I followed this here and it did not work, was still able to kinda upload as a registered user but do 100% see the upload icon. https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...ng-attachments

I also followed this after trying the first and now it does stop the user from uploading, but they are still seeing the icon and can attempt to upload but will see an error. I like to remove the button all together to prevent this user experience. https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...of-attachments

Monosnap screenshot tool for Mac and PC with own cloud storage. Take screenshots, record videos and upload files directly to the cloud. Just in one click.

Sorry I just noticed I posted this in the wrong section please move me if its an issue or I can remake.
    Last edited by kacghia; Fri 1 Dec '17, 11:12am.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

The first link that you're referring to is for vBulletin 2. That software hasn't been developed in 15 years and is unlike what we ship today. The second link is not the proper way to achieve what you want.

In the AdminCP go to Usergroups -> Usergroup Manager. Set the "Can Create Attachment" permissions to No for each usergroup. You will need to replicate this for custom permissions set under Usergroups -> Channel Permissions. This will include image uploads and the Photo Gallery content type as well. Since those are considered attachments as well.

You can control the types of attachments allowed under Attachments -> Attachment Type Manager.

You can control permissions on individual types under Attachments -> Attachment Permissions. THis allows you to let Admins upload Word and PDF documents but not allow others to do so without turning off Attachments altogether.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• kacghia
      • Jul 2016
      • 4.2.x

Heh yeah will pay better mind to the version. I reverted my changes but I did have those already set to no both for register user permissions and channel permissions. Issue I have is that the icon is still appearing for register users even though the camera no longer is.

Monosnap screenshot tool for Mac and PC with own cloud storage. Take screenshots, record videos and upload files directly to the cloud. Just in one click.
      Last edited by kacghia; Sat 2 Dec '17, 12:22am.

Comment

• kacghia
        • Jul 2016
        • 4.2.x

Also maybe I am doing something wrong. Is there an easy way for a user to insert an image using an extral link? The only way I have been able to do this my self so far is by using [url=urlHere.com ][ img]urlHere.com[ /img][/ url] I didnt see any user tool that allowed them to do this with out having to add all the brackets them self. When I click on the Image from the advance editor it's given me an error like its trying to upload the img to the server its self I think?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          • Aug 2000

With modern servers, you're providing the best service by allowing the user to use Attachments. This means the file will always be available and some image hosting service won't decide to charge them to access their own images. However, the insert image tool on the advanced editor can reference images on another server. They can add an external URL on the first tab and uncheck the box that says "Retrieve remote file and reference locally".

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• kacghia
            • Jul 2016
            • 4.2.x

Yeah that tool is working nicely. One of my members is worried about long term if forums are popular and having to keep up with it all and possibly boggling down the forums with so many different attachments. I did do what you said on registered users. I logged into one as well, and noticed my icon was still there to upload, I could click on it and select an item. It then would give me an error saying I do not have permission to do this.

I disabled both on the user permissions and all global channels as well. I seen I can remove from the html, just wondering the best way of doing this so I can have the button removed all together so there is no confusion to the user.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

You can remove the visible button with this code:
              Code:
              .js-toolbar-secondary > li:nth-child(1) {display:none;}
              This would be placed in your css_additional.css template. Either through the Style Manager or Site Builder.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• kacghia
                • Jul 2016
                • 4.2.x

Didn't work for me. We have made a bit of changes to the css through the css_additional.css, nothing releated to this button though.

Was able to make the Camera Icon go away with removing its permissions from both channel and user group but no luck so far with that Upload Attachments icon.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  • Aug 2000

You have the code within another CSS rule. See the trailing } on the last line? That is also why the code I provided shows in red. It isn't a CSS attribute but a rule applied to a specific element in that class.

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• kacghia
                    • Jul 2016
                    • 4.2.x

Thank you.

Comment