Want to test upgrade of large site. 80 gigs of attachments.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EvilArcana
    • Jul 2007
    • 4.2.X

Want to test upgrade of large site. 80 gigs of attachments.

Can I copy the website and do a test upgrade pointing to the same attachment store? Does vb5 change the attachments structure from 4? I'd like to use the same attachment storage for both the old and the 5 test install since its so big.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Yes, the license specifically allows for a test site to be installed. vBulletin 5 doesn't change the storage structure of how attachments are stored. However, it may need to change the ID of a file attachment in some cases.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• EvilArcana
      • Jul 2007
      • 4.2.X

Does that mean it would rename the file itself? I intended to import into a new database. I'm also converting from running on bare metal to running in a virtualized environment so that's a whole other challenge.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

When attachments are stored in the filesystem, they are named based on their fileid in the database. So yes, if the attachment gets renamed, the file can be renamed or lost to the system. The system works to minimize this but we can't foresee all issues.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• EvilArcana
          • Jul 2007
          • 4.2.X

Will there be any way to tell which files for changed? I have the space to copy them so that may just be easier. How long will it take for the upgrade to bring in about 85 gigabytes of attachments from 4 to 5?

Comment