X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trevor Matthews
    • Oct 2010
    • 4.1.x

Hi
    No, it completed the upgrade process after an hour or so.
    All appeared to be ok but I have now realised that the forum is a mess.
    All images that members have added to their post are not showing, just a line of text that says "Click image for larger version. Name: email1.jpeg Views 1 Size: 45KB ID: 263747
    That line is a clickable link and is http://www.myforum.co/forums/filedat...3&d=1455314075
    Clicking on the link takes you to a blank page with what looks like a capital i in the top left.....

Various text is corrupt in the threads, so the character set warning was obviously not corrected by me properly.

All links in posts that were directing members to other threads in the forum have the old live forum link.
    So if the link should now be www.myforum.co/wherever
    The old link is still there www.myforum.uk/wherever

The images not showing is obviously a complete disaster as is the incorrect links.
    Is there a solution to these problems?
    Regards
    Trevor

Comment

• Mark.B
      vBulletin Support
      • Feb 2004
      • 6.0.X

Now that the upgrade has finished, change the config.php setting back to latin1.

Attachments...are they stored in the file system or the database?

Are the forum URL settings correct in the admincp to reflect the test location?
      MARK.B
      vBulletin Support
      ------------
      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Trevor Matthews
        • Oct 2010
        • 4.1.x

Hi Mark
        I changed the config file back to latin1 but the issue remains.
        I have checked the admin settings and all references point to the test forum.
        The attachments are stored in the file system but are one folder up from the forums folder as that is where the instructions said to put the 4 folders that I needed to keep with all the customised things in them.
        I attach an image showing both of those problems.
        Attached Files
        Regards
        Trevor

Comment

• Trevor Matthews
          • Oct 2010
          • 4.1.x

Just some further information.
          If I go to the admincp and then Attachments I can view all the attachment statistics but if I click on any of them using the View Content button next to the five most popular attachments I get taken to a page with the following link. With a invalid url message obviously.

If I click on the actual file name I get a file not found message.
          The same happens if I click on Edit.

Exactly the same happens if I click on any of the five largest attachments.
          And the same happens if I try and click on any of the newest attachments or the oldest ones.

All the attachments seem to be there and the admincp sees them all but just doesn't display them.
          Regards
          Trevor

Comment

• Mark.B
            vBulletin Support
            • Feb 2004
            • 6.0.X

The attachments would need to have been on the exact same path on the test installation as the live, relative to the installation.
            If the path was different this would need to have been updated in the admincp prior to the upgrade.
            MARK.B
            vBulletin Support
            ------------
            My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
            My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Trevor Matthews
              • Oct 2010
              • 4.1.x

Hi Mark
              They are, I created a folder on the server and uploaded all the vb4 files to it, I then created a sub folder called forums, as the instructions say to do.
              The test vb4 installation works perfectly with all files and attachments working.

That is exactly the same as the live site.

So the server tree is;

Folder with live forum/all the vb4 files

Folder with test forum/all the vb4 files and a sub folder called forums for all the vb5 files.

I am going to try again from scratch and I am about to upload all the vb5 files again now to the sub folder.

I did notice that after the upgrade the /forums/ folder had a sub folder called attachments but it was empty other than some numbered folders.
              The real populated attachments folder is one level higher, again, just as the upgrade instructions say they should be.

Is the attachments folder not in the correct place????
              If so where should it be?
              Regards
              Trevor

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                • Jul 2008

Attachments are usually stored outside (above) the public_html folder, can you post what the path was to your attachments? (replace your username with x's so something like /home/xxxx/path/here or C:\pah\here)

Comment

• Trevor Matthews
                  • Oct 2010
                  • 4.1.x

Hi
                  My live forum attachment address is /var/www/vhosts/sxxxxxxxx.onlinehome-server.info/myforum.uk/attachments

The test site address is /var/www/vhosts/sxxxxxxxx.onlinehome-server.info/myforum.co/attachments

Exactly the same.

The vbulletin 4 install put the attachment folder and all other folders in that position years ago.
                  I have never read that the attachment folder should be moved......

I am running the upgrade again but still have the warning about the wrong character set being used, utf8 and latin1.
                  It then fails again at step 142 with the following warning. As it did before.
                  Step 142 - Unexpected Text:
                  <html> <head><title>504 Gateway Time-out</title></head> <body bgcolor="white"> <center><h1>504 Gateway Time-out</h1></center> <hr><center>nginx</center> </body> </html>

Just realised the line I altered in the config file was commented out, the upgrade is progressing again with the charset on latin1. I don't understand why the vbulletin upgrade instructions do not actually match what actually happens during an upgrade. Like the screen that says delete makeconfig.php and start the installation again. No mention of where to find that file or how to start the upgrade/installation. In my case I simply refreshed the browser page but surely this should be mentioned in the instructions? Any idea how to update the thousands of links in threads that point to other posts in the forum? Currently they all point to the live forum and not the test forum.
                  Regards
                  Trevor

Comment

• Trevor Matthews
                    • Oct 2010
                    • 4.1.x

OK, so the upgrade has finished but with exactly the same issues as before.

I have now managed to solve the attachment problem by going to the admincp/attachments/attachment storage type
                    I then selected Move items to a different directory, I then entered the full server path to the existing attachment folder.
                    All missing images are now back in the threads.

Some problems to resolve.

1. Internal links that should point to other threads etc are pointing at the live forum.
                    This may not actually matter long term as the idea is to upgrade the live forum at some point when I am happy with the test forum.

2. In the attachment statistics section clicking on, say one of the 5 most popular attachments names produces no image.
                    Clicking on View Content produces the double web-site address as above.

Editing the address to http://www.myforums.co/forums/fileda...filedataid=686 and the image appears.

Clicking on Edit produces a message that says No Matches Found.
                    Regards
                    Trevor

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                      • Aug 2000

Changing the value in the config.php file has no bearing whatsoever on how text is displayed on your site. It tells vBulletin how to communicate with your database so the data is stored correctly. Rerunning the upgrade repeatedly will not change the outcome here.
                      1. Go into your AdminCP and go to Language & Phrases -> Language Manager.
                      2. Edit your Language.
                      3. Set the character set to UTF-8.

Do the UTF-8 characters in your posts display correctly now?

For your other problems:
                      1) You haven't updated the URL of your test site so that it is correct. Settings -> Options -> Site Name / URL / Contact Details.
                      2) There are several known issues with this page.

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Trevor Matthews
                        • Oct 2010
                        • 4.1.x

Thanks Wayne
                        Currently rebuilding the search index for testing purposes but yes, the URL and contact details are all pointing to the test forum.

I will check the language settings but since I started from scratch again the wrong characters issue seems to have gone.
                        Regards
                        Trevor

Comment

• Trevor Matthews
                          • Oct 2010
                          • 4.1.x

Is there a list as such of issues I can look at, I don't want to waste more time on something I can't solve myself.
                          Regards
                          Trevor

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                            • Aug 2000

All currently open issues are in the Tracker - http://tracker.vbulletin.com/secure/...DESC&mode=hide

Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Trevor Matthews
                              • Oct 2010
                              • 4.1.x

Thanks for that.

I now have another issue.

I am unable to edit the header ad module.
                              As soon as I click on edit or try to select one or two adverts the error in the attached image comes up.
                              Any suggestions about this one?
                              Attached Files
                              Regards
                              Trevor

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                                • Aug 2000

Clear you system cache under Maintenance in the AdminCP. Can you edit the module after you do that?

Wayne Luke
                                vBulletin 5 API

Comment