• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trevor Matthews
    • Oct 2010
    • 4.1.x

Upgrade Fail

Hi
    I have created a test instance of my working 4.2.5 forum and that works perfectly.
    I have uploaded all the 5.3.1 files to an empty folder called forums.
    I have gone to www.myforum.co/forum/install/upgrade.php
    I get to enter my licence number and then another box comes up asking for my database information etc.
    I have entered that information.
    I click on the button and after a few seconds get taken to a blank Firefox page with http://myforum/forum/install/upgrade.php?do=login as the address.
    In IE it says 500 error.

Both config files have been populated but not renamed so I have renamed them to config.php.
    Still no difference.

I have tried with all the vb 4.2.5 files deleted other than the attachments and custom folders that the instructions say to leave, still the same.
    I have tried with all the vb 4.2.5 files in place and that makes no difference. Except I can still access the working 4.2.5 forum.

Because I deleted vbseo a year or so ago a htaccess rule was required and that is;
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteRule [^/]+/([0-9]+)-[^/]+\.html http://www.myforum.co/showthread.php?t=$1 [L,R=301]

I have tried adding that to the htaccess file in the vb 5.3.1 folder but that makes no difference.

I am going to look at the logs but does anyone have any idea what the problem is please?
    Regards
    Trevor
  • mhere21
    • Mar 2016
    • 5.3.x

I was having the same issue, turned out the database user did not have sufficient privileges. Are you using the same database user?
    Come check out Web Hosting Brio and discuss everything web hosting related.

Comment

• Trevor Matthews
      • Oct 2010
      • 4.1.x

Hi
      Thanks for the suggestion.
      I created an empty new database with new credentials, so new database name, new database user and new database password.
      Then imported the back up database into that, so there should be no issues along those lines.
      Regards
      Trevor

Comment

• Trevor Matthews
        • Oct 2010
        • 4.1.x

I forgot to mention, on the last attempt, I ened up with a message saying "delete makeconfig file and then run the installer.
        I couldn't find that file to delete it or run any installer........
        Regards
        Trevor

Comment

• In Omnibus
          • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Trevor Matthews
          I forgot to mention, on the last attempt, I ened up with a message saying "delete makeconfig file and then run the installer.
          I couldn't find that file to delete it or run any installer........
          The makeconfig.php file is located in the core/install folder

If you delete it manually you should return to the URL/core/install/install.php script.

Comment

• Trevor Matthews
            • Oct 2010
            • 4.1.x

Hi
            Thanks.
            The plot thickens, I have exactly the same results if I try to do a totally fresh install of vb5.3.1.
            Never mind trying to upgrade anything.

If I change the .htaccess file name to stop it working I get a 404 not found error but activating the .htaccess files takes me straight back to the same problem, a blank page with Firefox or a 500 error with IE.

I am now at a loss as to why vb5.3.1 works on my Synology NAS but will not work on my dedicated server.

Any suggestions please?
            Regards
            Trevor

Comment

• Trevor Matthews
              • Oct 2010
              • 4.1.x

The error logs show a number of issues.

The one below is repeated over and over.
              [Mon Jun 19 16:51:56.454405 2017] [fcgid:warn] [pid 2442:tid 139652413458176] [client 151.228.134.246:39692] mod_fcgid: stderr: PHP Notice: Undefined variable: mysqlversion in /var/www/vhosts/smyserver.onlinehome-server.info/myforum.co/forum/core/vb/database.php on line 1259

As is this one.
              [Mon Jun 19 16:51:56.454525 2017] [fcgid:warn] [pid 2442:tid 139652413458176] [client 151.228.134.246:39692] mod_fcgid: stderr: PHP Notice: Undefined variable: vboptions in /var/www/vhosts/smyserver.onlinehome-server.info/myforum.co/forum/core/vb/database.php on line 1262

Does that help pinpoint anything?
              Regards
              Trevor

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                • Aug 2000

Are you using PHP 5.6.0 or higher?

Other than that, there really isn't enough information to understand why it is failing. We would need to look at your server.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Trevor Matthews
                  • Oct 2010
                  • 4.1.x

Hi Wayne
                  I have tried with PHP 5.6.30 7.0.20 and 7.1.6 with exactly the same results.
                  How would I arrange that Wayne, it is also only accessible via ssh, sftp etc using an authentication certificate, direct logins are not possible except to the plesk panel.
                  Is there really nothing more obvious that is stopping this, my 4.2.5 forum works perfectly and on PHP 7.1.6

It seems very odd that I can upload all the files again but not get the screen asking for the vb licence number and then the screen asking for the database information when I go to the install or upgrade web address............
                  Regards
                  Trevor

Comment

• Trevor Matthews
                    • Oct 2010
                    • 4.1.x

Is there a test script that I can run on the server that may highlight some incompatibility?
                    Regards
                    Trevor

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                      • Aug 2000

If you have support ticket access, you can open a support ticket.

It seems very odd that I can upload all the files again but not get the screen asking for the vb licence number and then the screen asking for the database information when I go to the install or upgrade web address............
                      Not weird at all. Once you enter the customerID, then a cookie is written on your computer that lasts 30 days. Once you file out the form once and the files are written out, then it doesn't ask for it again. If you rename config.php.new to config.php, it won't ask for the database information. It assumes you have already filled it out. Just like in vBulletin 4.X

The upgrade and install procedure really hasn't changed that much. You're probably missing a required library. These are specified in the vb5readme.html file. Most likely mb_string.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Trevor Matthews
                        • Oct 2010
                        • 4.1.x

Thanks Wayne
                        Yes, so now I get the customer id number page and then the database page.
                        After entering the details it tells me to delete the makeconfig.php file and then begin the installation.
                        I assume I should not be seeing that?
                        I have deleted the makeconfig.php file and then refreshed that page.

And yes, I now have the upgrade screen in front of me..............

Unfortunately I have this message.

Your database has a character set of 'utf8', but your mysql connection character set is 'latin1'. This can cause problems when rendering text if you installed your site prior to version 5.2.5. Setting $config['Mysqli']['charset'] to 'latin1' in your configuration file will restore the previous behavior recommended prior to upgrading to 5.2.5 or later.

Can you advise me on exactly what file it is asking me to change?
                        Regards
                        Trevor

Comment

• Trevor Matthews
                          • Oct 2010
                          • 4.1.x

So it seemed to mean the config.php file so I amended it and ran the upgrader.

All was looking good until this this message came up.....

Step 142 - Unexpected Text:
                          <html> <head><title>504 Gateway Time-out</title></head> <body bgcolor="white"> <center><h1>504 Gateway Time-out</h1></center> <hr><center>nginx</center> </body> </html>

Any ideas what to do now please?
                          Regards
                          Trevor

Comment

• Trevor Matthews
                            • Oct 2010
                            • 4.1.x

Forget that, I changed the config file back to utf8 and ran the upgrader again, now at step 146 of 166
                            Regards
                            Trevor

Comment

• Mark.B
                              vBulletin Support
                              • Feb 2004
                              • 6.0.X

Forget that, I changed the config file back to utf8 and ran the upgrader again, now at step 146 of 166
                              Is it running or is it stuck?
                              MARK.B
                              vBulletin Support
                              ------------
                              My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                              My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment