X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zero477
    • Jan 2012

Please advice about upgrading

Hello to all,

We built a travel website based on vB 4, we started the development when vB 5 was new and it did not had a CMS.

We worked a lot in our website and created a very beautiful style for the CMS of vB 4

Now we are having problems with Facebook Connect in vB version 4.2.4 and the vBulletin team said they do not plan to keep vB 4 updated to use this feature. So one day, Facebook Connect will not work in vB 4.

As a company owner ... how would you manage this type of problems? Shall I rely on a company like vB? Should I expect to build again from scratch my website everytime that vB relases a new version of the software vB 6?

Should I fix vB 4 to work properly and foreget about what the vB team makes?

What makes vB 5 better than vB 4?

• Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

vBulletin 5 added CMS capability in 5.1.0. Your articles can be imported. You can use the 3 column display view to have similar views as your site does now. You can customize the cards easily with CSS. Have you installed a recent version in a test environment using a copy of your vB4 database to upgrade with? What issues are you having?

vBulletin 5's strengths are:
    • Site Builder. This is like vB4's CMS Layout system but applies to the entire site. You can easily create custom pages and modify existing pages.
    • Responsive views. Every properly created style will conform to a large variety of device displays including phones and tablets. You can control which modules show on the different displays.
    • A wide variety of default Styles. vBulletin 5 ships with 16 different styles. Plus these are easier to customize directly with CSS compared to vBulletin 4.
    • Rich Media. vBulletin has more content types than vBulletin 4. These include Photo Galleries, External Links with thumbnail and description. Links also include video embedding. Plus the editor has more options.
    Last edited by Wayne Luke; Fri 21 Apr '17, 10:01am.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• zero477
      • Jan 2012

Now I have problems with facebook connect now, it does not work in vb 4.2.4

The support team told me that it will work again vb 4.2.5, until then my users cannot login with their facebook accounts.

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

Originally posted by zero477
        Now I have problems with facebook connect now, it does not work in vb 4.2.4

The support team told me that it will work again vb 4.2.5, until then my users cannot login with their facebook accounts.
        That's correct, you will need to upgrade. You can do so right now if you use php 5.6 or above.

Please be aware that 4.2.5 is the final planned release in the vB4 series. Should Facebook change their code yet again then vB4 will not be updated to comply with this. Only vB5 will receive such updates.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------
        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment