Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bhagsri
    • Nov 2008

VB 4.2.3 Patch Level 2 vs. VB 5.2.4 Patch Level 2

Is there a document that describes major differences between the current VB supported/recommended 4.2.3 Patch Level 2 and 5.2.4 Patch Level 2

My forum is currently on 4.1.11 and I already have license for VB 5 but unsure which version I should upgrade to.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by bhagsri; Sun 13 Nov '16, 5:14pm.
  • glennrocksvb
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • Mar 2011
    • 5.7.X

vB5 is totally different than vB4. vB4 plugins will not work in vB5. vB5 is responsive. There are many vB4 features that are missing in vB5 such as Calendar. vB5 has Sitebuilder where you can configure the site inline on the frontend. That's just some of the differences. I suggest you request a vB5 trial demo.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• glennrocksvb
      Former vBulletin Developer
      • Mar 2011
      • 5.7.X

Wait, since you already have a vB5 license, I suggest you do a test installation/upgrade on your local computer or server.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• bhagsri
        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Glenn Vergara
        vB5 is totally different than vB4. vB4 plugins will not work in vB5. vB5 is responsive. There are many vB4 features that are missing in vB5 such as Calendar. vB5 has Sitebuilder where you can configure the site inline on the frontend. That's just some of the differences. I suggest you request a vB5 trial demo.

Thank you very much Glenn. I already have VB5 & Mobile suite for both VB4 & VB5.

Apart from the calendar what are the major user feature differences? What will my users lose vs what will my users gain?

Security, Mobile suite, RSS Integration, single sign-on, Integration with FB & other social networks, Blogs, compatibility with DB Tech and other Mods etc.
        Last edited by bhagsri; Mon 14 Nov '16, 2:32am.

Comment

• Mark.B
          vBulletin Support
          • Feb 2004
          • 6.0.X

No modifications from vB4 will work with vB5, same for styles and any other customizations. As Glenn sad, it is a completely different product.

The mobile suite will still work, and there is limited Facebook integration. vBulletin has never supported single sign on as such.
          vB5 has Blogs, articles and groups, though all work differently to how they did in vB4.
          You will keep content and members and most settings, nothing else.

You need to look at a demo or test installation properly before deciding.

What you should really be asking yourself is - "Why do I want to upgrade?"
          What reason do you have for wanting to go through a major version upgrade, as these are always disruptive to your site.
          If the answer is 'to get the newest version', then this is the wrong reason, and you should look at upgrading to4.2.3 instead, which will retain everything you currently have.
          MARK.B
          vBulletin Support
          ------------
          My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
          My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment