Are SEO Links Broken with upgrade from vB4? CMS up one level issue?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jefferis
    • Oct 2010

Are SEO Links Broken with upgrade from vB4? CMS up one level issue?

Reading the instructions for upgrading to vB5 from 4 it appears that while all the database links may transfer, the indexed links in search engines might all break:
    1. When finished you can view the site through the baseurl (http://www.example.com/vb5).
    The new directory will break the old directory links to
    1. When finished you can view the site through the baseurl (http://www.example.com/vBforum) for example
    The other issue is that some of our sites have the index/home page/cms One level up from the forum directory.
    I didn't see specific instructions for saving, protecting that setup in the upgrade info. Is that automatic as well?
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

If you are using any of the built in URL structures in vB4, then these should automatically redirect to their vB5 equivalents.

However if you were using any third party URL rewriting software, such as vBSEO or DBSEO, these URLs will NOT redirect.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Jefferis
      • Oct 2010

what about handling CMS 1 level up from forums?

Comment

• dan325ci
        • May 2004

Sorry to bump this thread but i was wondering if this statement still holds true. I am planning to finally upgrade from Vbulletin 4.2.5 to the latest Version 5.

We are currently using "Advanced Friendly URLs". By moving to Vbulletin will this still keep the same URL structures? I recall reading somewhere that upgrading to Version 5 breaks the structure but can't find the article so i wanted to double check based on today's information.

Comment

• LockedOnLaw
          • Apr 2010
          • 6.X

Originally posted by dan325ci
          Sorry to bump this thread but i was wondering if this statement still holds true. I am planning to finally upgrade from Vbulletin 4.2.5 to the latest Version 5.

We are currently using "Advanced Friendly URLs". By moving to Vbulletin will this still keep the same URL structures? I recall reading somewhere that upgrading to Version 5 breaks the structure but can't find the article so i wanted to double check based on today's information.
          What Mark said in post #2 above is still correct.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by dan325ci

URL structure of vBulletin 5 hasn't changed since the beginning. The redirects needed for vBulletin 4.X Advanced Friendly URLs are available in the provided .htaccess file. You only need to uncomment them as needed.

No support is provided for vBSEO or DBSEO URLs. No support is provided for .html extensions in the vBulletin 5 file system.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment