X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mlott132
    • Dec 2015
    • 5.1.x

Upgrade plan

So I recently took over the administration of a club forum that I am involved in. The forum is currently phpbb version 3.0.11, but we plan on migrating to vBulletin. Question is what is the best course of action? My thought was to install vBulletin and then run a test migration behind the scenes. I do not want to cause any issues with the current running site while doing this. After working out any issues, then do a switchover. Is it even possible to do it this way? One concern I have is can both phpbb and vBulletin run on the same server at the same time? Also, what is everyones opinion on vBulletin 5? Should I upgrade to it or use vBulletin4? Any tips would be appreciated.
  • Craig
    • Jan 2008
    • 6.X

It depends on your host whether you can run both, if they are a good host and are willing, then yes. I recently did just that, our website went from a non-forum based site to vB5 and I wanted the new site up and running behind the scenes first, then do a cut-over. My host gave me a sub-directory to do all this in, and when I was ready they pointed my url to the new directory. This was ideal and only required me to make final changes in the admin control panel for the new url. I had no down time.

As for he compatibility of the phpbb database and vB versions is best answered by one of the vB staff.

adktramping ~ my happy place.

"Whoever said practice makes perfect was an idiot. Humans can't be perfect because we're not machines." ~ Sam Gardner.

Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

• mlott132
      • Dec 2015
      • 5.1.x

I came across this thread while searching on this topic. Looks like the route I would like to take should work. Plan on using impex to convert phpbb database to vBulletin. Anyone have any recent experience with this migration? Is there anything I need to watch out for going into this?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...