Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NicStage
    • Nov 2007

Upgrade to 5.1.9 from 5.0.5 - Can't get past "Enter Upgrade System"

I am not able to get through the upgrade process. I am following the upgrade documentation (As I always do), but I am stuck on the step where I access /core/install/upgrade.php. I am asked for my customer number. When I enter the number and click the "Enter Upgrade System" button, I get a browser error of "ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE". The browser (Latest Chrome) says that no data was received. I tried this in "incognito mode" to rule out browser plugins causing problems, and I also tried it in various other browsers with the same results every time (Some form of the browser's "no data sent by server" type of error). To prepare files, I uploaded all the files from the "upload" directory into the forum root on my server, as I always do. I've also tried upgrading to 5.1.0 just to see if that might work. I have the same problem, so I went back to trying 5.1.9.

I see talk in this thread of a "presentation config.php" file and things that need to be done to it. There is no mention of "presentation config.php" in the documentation. Looking at the config.php in the root and core/includes/config.php (In both the 5.1.9 downloaded files and already existing on my server, and also the .bkp and .new versions), I don't see any reference to the "core_path field" that Trevor mentions in that thread. I've deleted /core/install/install.php, /config.php.bkp, and /core/includes/config.php.new files per documentation.

More information:
    • No vBulletin plugins
    • Cookies are enabled in my browser
    • I've cleared cache and cookies multiple times
    • I don't have SSH access to this server, so the CLI method isn't an option, unfortunately
    • PHP v5.6.12
    • MySQL v5.1.7
    Any insight would be appreciated.
  • glennrocksvb
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • Mar 2011
    • 5.7.X

That "ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE" sounds like an internet connection issue and not related to vB.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• NicStage
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Glenn Vergara
      That "ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE" sounds like an internet connection issue and not related to vB.
      Thanks for the help. My internet connection works fine in all contexts. It is related to vB in the sense that the the script located at /core/install/upgrade.php is making a POST call back to itself when I press the "Enter Upgrade System" button (I can see this by looking at the Network tab in the developer console of my browser). When I load /core/install/upgrade.php by typing it into my browser's address bar, it loads fine. The error only occurs when I press the button "Enter Upgrade System". I'm not confident that it will do anything, but I'll try renewing DHCP and flushing DNS as you suggested, because at this point I'm desperate and convinced that the vBulletin support ticket system is just a poorly conceived prank.

Edit: Also, all other pages on my forum and all pages of other random websites load fine in all browsers from my computer.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Do you have cookies enabled?
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• NicStage
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          Do you have cookies enabled?
          Yes.

Originally posted by NicStage
          Cookies are enabled in my browser

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

I can't tell what the problem is. You would need to open a support ticket.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment