• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FSM
    • Aug 2013
    • 4.2.X

install.php loads a blank page

Hello,

I’m recreating my website, which was previously on vb4… I now want to install a fresh copy of vb5 – but when I try to run the install.php file it just loads a blank page…. I have uploaded all the files and renamed both config files. I also renamed the htaccess.txt to .htaccess. All previous vb4 files and sql database has been wiped clean as well. The files have been uploaded to the root directory.

Do you know what may be wrong? Also, I changed my license information to have a different category and description. I don’t know if that would have caused the problem.

Thanks,
    Andy
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

A blank page is an indicator of a PHP error. Though we try to turn error reporting on, that functionality may be disabled on you server. You can look in your php error log to see what the problem is. This is defined in the php.ini file.

Also make sure that your server has the mysqli library installed. This isn't always installed on Windows servers.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• FSM
      • Aug 2013
      • 4.2.X

My vb4 site was working just fine in the same webspace... I'm hosting it on GoDaddy....is there any chance you would be willing to do a remote session and take a look? Or do you guys not do that kind of thing?

One thing I would like to add. When I started I did get the login page to load where I enter my customer number. But I was getting errors after filling in the config information as a result of not renaming my root config file... which I then renamed...after that I started getting the blank page.
      Last edited by FSM; Tue 7 Jul '15, 11:33am. Reason: additional info

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

What version of PHP are you using on your GoDaddy account? vBulletin will only run on GoDaddy using their Deluxe Linux Hosting under PHP 5.4.0 and higher. I recommend switching to PHP 5.5. in your cPanel control panel.

If you want us to look, you'll need to open a support ticket using the link in the footer of this page and provide access to your cPanel.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• FSM
          • Aug 2013
          • 4.2.X

I am using PHP 5.5... I created a fresh database for the vb5 installation. It says "Direct Access Not Allowed"...could that be it?

I created a support ticket.
          Last edited by FSM; Tue 7 Jul '15, 11:45am. Reason: additional info

Comment

• FSM
            • Aug 2013
            • 4.2.X

Well I'm still not having any luck. I tried using the config file from one of the announcements too...I tried using the makeconfig.php file as well but it doesn't work and returns the error
            Warning: file_get_contents() [function.file-get-contents]: Filename cannot be empty in .../install/makeconfig.php on line 245 Error - Could not open frontend config file.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

You should edit the config.php files manually if they can't be created with the makeconfig.php file. Simply rename config.php.bkp to config.php on the front-end and edit /core/includes/config.php.new to include your database information before renaming it to /core/includes/config.php.

There are more detailed instructions in the online manual at http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/install and in the vb5readme.html included with your download package.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• FSM
                • Aug 2013
                • 4.2.X

I appreciate the response Wayne... To give you an update; I have since gotten the install.php page to show. I have manually configured the config files, and now I'm trying to complete the install process, which gets stuck at step 14 of 20 (73%)... I don't know where to go from here.

I put in a ticket with all the information needed to access my site / database.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  • Aug 2000

At that point, you should have switched from install.php to upgrade.php and it is importing the XML files. Styles in step 14 to be exact. If you refresh the page, it should continue. However some hosting providers like GoDaddy can lock you out for a few minutes due to excessive requests. Others will crash if we make fewer but larger requests.

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• FSM
                    • Aug 2013
                    • 4.2.X

Refreshing the page starts from the very beginning, where it asks me to re-input the BB Title, paths, webmaster url, ADMIN credentials, etc. Then it gets stuck again at step 14... I have done this atleast 10 times now.

you may be right about the webhost blocking me out due to excessive requests -- I have noticed it tends to vary at which template it stops at. What can I do?

Comment

• FSM
                      • Aug 2013
                      • 4.2.X

Joe D just sent me an email and said he got it to finish for me.... he confirmed what you said about the host timing out/blocking requests. What he did was use the upgrade.php to finish it.... I didn't know I could use that page to resume it.

Thanks.

Comment