X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Christine88
    • Nov 2012

vBulletin 5 installation tutorial please

Hi everyone

I just purchased vBulletin 5 and I'm trying to install it but it's not easy. Is there a comprehensive tutorial for doing a new install?

Christine
  • In Omnibus
    • Apr 2010

You may wish to start here:

Comment

• Christine88
      • Nov 2012

Originally posted by ProSportsForums
      Thanks but I have already seen but its rather vague. For example it states this: "Rename /vb5/core/includes/config.php.new to config.php and edit it like you would for vB4"

The problem here is that I have never installed vB4 or any other version so I have no idea what I need to edit in the config.php files. I have found the file and renamed it config.php from config.php.new but I really need a comprehensive tutorial.

Christine

Comment

• Ace
        • Apr 2004
        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Christine88
        Thanks but I have already seen but its rather vague. For example it states this: "Rename /vb5/core/includes/config.php.new to config.php and edit it like you would for vB4"

The problem here is that I have never installed vB4 or any other version so I have no idea what I need to edit in the config.php files. I have found the file and renamed it config.php from config.php.new but I really need a comprehensive tutorial.

Christine
        All you have to do is described in those instructions: (Change the database credentials & database name.)

You'd change those to whatever you have set up for the database.
        My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
        vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• Christine88
          • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Ace
          All you have to do is described in those instructions: (Change the database credentials & database name.)

You'd change those to whatever you have set up for the database.
          What I need and what would really be helpful are two config.php file samples that I could open in notepad 2. One unedited sample and one sample with the changes preferably highligted so I could compare the two and know exactly what I need to change and where. That would go a long way.

Comment

• Ace
            • Apr 2004
            • 4.2.X

Presentation config:

// ****** Base URLs ******
            // The following settings all deal with the url of your forum.
            // If set incorrectly your site/software will not function correctly.
            // These urls should NOT include a trailing slash
            // This is the url and web path of your root vBulletin directory
            $config['baseurl'] = 'http://www.yourdomain.com/folder';
            Core config:
            // ****** DATABASE NAME ****** // This is the name of the database where your vBulletin will be located.
            // This must be created by your webhost.
            $config['Database']['dbname'] = 'forum';

// ****** TABLE PREFIX ******
            // Prefix that your vBulletin tables have in the database.
            $config['Database']['tableprefix'] = '';

// ****** TECHNICAL EMAIL ADDRESS ******
            // If any database errors occur, they will be emailed to the address specified here.
            // Leave this blank to not send any emails when there is a database error.
            $config['Database']['technicalemail'] = '[email protected]';

// ****** MASTER DATABASE SERVER NAME AND PORT ******
            // This is the hostname or IP address and port of the database server.
            // If you are unsure of what to put here, leave the default values.
            //
            // Note: If you are using IIS 7+ and MySQL is on the same machine, you
            // need to use 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost
            $config['MasterServer']['servername'] = 'localhost';
            $config['MasterServer']['port'] = 3306;

// ****** MASTER DATABASE USERNAME & PASSWORD ******
            // This is the username and password you use to access MySQL.
            // These must be obtained through your webhost.
            $config['MasterServer']['username'] = 'root';
            $config['MasterServer']['password'] = '';
            vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• Christine88
              • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Ace
              Presentation config:

Core config:
              Thank you for posting that. Ok here's what I have for my presentation config as instructed via you tube video:

$config['baseurl'] = 'http://www.bidbunny.net';
              $config['baseurl_core'] = $config['baseurl'] . 'http://www.bidbunny.net/core';

Does that look right? Bidbunny is my domain name. I have not edited the core yet

Comment

• Ace
                • Apr 2004
                • 4.2.X

Thank you for posting that. Ok here's what I have for my presentation config as instructed via you tube video:

$config['baseurl'] = 'http://www.bidbunny.net';
                $config['baseurl_core'] = $config['baseurl'] . 'http://www.bidbunny.net/core';

Does that look right? Bidbunny is my domain name. I have not edited the core yet
                The first line does. The second one should not really be edited, it should just read:

PHP Code:
                $config['baseurl_core'] = $config['baseurl']  .  '/core'

Comment

• Christine88
                  • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Ace
                  The first line does. The second one should not really be edited, it should just read:

PHP Code:
                  $config['baseurl_core'] = $config['baseurl']  .  '/core'
                  Oh I thought it was suppose to edited. I'll change it back. BTW in the core config where it has this line: $config['Database']['dbname'] = 'forum'; Do I need to add something in place of forum? The note says something about a database. I created a My SQL data base through Go Daddy.

Comment

• Ace
                    • Apr 2004
                    • 4.2.X

Yes, all the lines I bolded need to be defined in the core config.php file.

Those details are the ones you created when you made the database.

Of course, being that you are on Godaddy, vBulletin 5 won't actually work anyway - you'll need to either find a new host or use vB4.2.

Comment

• Christine88
                      • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Ace
                      Yes, all the lines I bolded need to be defined in the core config.php file.

Those details are the ones you created when you made the database.

Of course, being that you are on Godaddy, vBulletin 5 won't actually work anyway - you'll need to either find a new host or use vB4.2.
                      Are you joking? I purchased my domain name through Go Daddy. I'll have to buy and register another domain name.

Comment

• Ace
                        • Apr 2004
                        • 4.2.X

Are you joking? I purchased my domain name through Go Daddy. I'll have to buy and register another domain name.
                        I'm not joking, but I was talking about their hosting service (unless you have a dedicated server or VPS with them) not being able to run vB5.

The domain can be from them and pointed to a host that runs systems capable of supporting vB5, there's no need to register a new domain.

Comment

• Christine88
                          • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Ace
                          I'm not joking, but I was talking about their hosting service (unless you have a dedicated server or VPS with them) not being able to run vB5.

The domain can be from them and pointed to a host that runs systems capable of supporting vB5, there's no need to register a new domain.
                          Oh that's a relief and fortunately I only purchased 3 months at about $14. Thanks! I didn't want to have to get a new domain. So can you recomend a good host that is vbulletin friendly? And thank you for your help so far.

Comment

• Ace
                            • Apr 2004
                            • 4.2.X

No problem at all.

Have a look here: https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...osting-Options (basically - "anybody but Godaddy.")

Comment

• Christine88
                              • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Ace
                              No problem at all.

Have a look here: https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...osting-Options (basically - "anybody but Godaddy.")
                              Thanks I think I'm going to go with NimbusHosting. I've already been talking with Tim and he is going to mod my config.php files so I won't have to deal with that.

Christine

Comment