Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • St0rm
    • Nov 2007

Login Issues

I asked customer support this, they told me to make a bug report, and now its the weekend and I can't really afford to wait until Monday to have it looked at, so I'm hoping you can enlighten me.

I have PHP5 and a vanilla install of VB5 located here: http://www.st0rm.net/forum

Everything looks OK (except slow popin of some menus when you click a new tab, I hope that will go away...) however, people cannot login! If you try to login, it takes you back to the same page and doesn't seem to modify your cookies one bit. I can login from the admincp and it logs me in everywhere, however then I can't logout! (without clearing my cookies manually).

I have full verbose debug mode in both PHP, VB, and apache and all the logs are empty when i try to login. I've reinstalled this from scratch 3 times (redoing the config each time). Everything's set to be owned by www-data (apache) and rewrite mod is enabled (AllowOverride all)
    Last edited by St0rm; Sat 29 Sep '12, 10:44am.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

If you look in both config.php files, there is a cookie_prefix value in both of them. They need to match identically. By default they are both set to 'bb' but if you change one, then you get the behavior your describe.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• St0rm
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      If you look in both config.php files, there is a cookie_prefix value in both of them. They need to match identically. By default they are both set to 'bb' but if you change one, then you get the behavior your describe.
      Unfortunately I have
      core/includes/config.php

$config['Misc']['cookieprefix'] = 'bb';

config.php
      $config['cookie_prefix'] = 'bb';

And have just tried changing them both to ''

Still no luck.

Comment

• Hartmut
        • Nov 2007
        • 4.2.x

Hm, why do you run the site in debug mode anyways?
        No private support, only PM me when I ask for it. Support in the forums only.

Comment

• AlexanderT
          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Hartmut
          A hunch: Because he is beta testing it?

Comment

• St0rm
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Hartmut
            because...login doesn't work...that's a bug...and I'm trying to...DEbug it.

Comment

• abc123
              • Feb 2008
              • 3.8.x

i have the same problem

Comment

• Lynne
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Oct 2004

What do you have entered as your core path in your config.php file? Is it a complete path and not just a relative path?

Also, what is in your error_logs (if you don't know where they are, ask your host)?

abc123, if our help for St0rm does not help you out also, then you need to start your own thread with details of your own problem. We can only really help one person per thread or it gets pretty messy.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• St0rm
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Lynne
                  What do you have entered as your core path in your config.php file? Is it a complete path and not just a relative path?

Also, what is in your error_logs (if you don't know where they are, ask your host)?

abc123, if our help for St0rm does not help you out also, then you need to start your own thread with details of your own problem. We can only really help one person per thread or it gets pretty messy.

$config['baseurl_core'] = 'http://www.st0rm.net/forum/core';

$config['core_path'] = '/var/www/st0rm.net/forum/core';

This is correct, as shown here:
                  usweb:/var/www/st0rm.net/forum# stat core
                  File: `core'
                  Size: 4096 Blocks: 8 IO Block: 4096 directory

Im not sure which log you want (PHP errors has more useful info), so here ya go:

http://www.st0rm.net/php_errors.log

And the log file specified in the VB adminCP is empty.

Comment

• Lynne
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Oct 2004

Can you make sure that neither of your config.php files was saved as UTF-8 (with BOM).

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

• St0rm
                      • Nov 2007

Can you make sure that neither of your config.php files was saved as UTF-8 (with BOM).

I've reuploaded the .zip and did the editing purely in VIM to ensure no funny encoding went on. It didn't work. I then downloaded my old config file and opened it notepad++ and checked the Encoding menu option, it was checked as "UTF-8 WITHOUT BOM"

Currently:

usweb:/var/www/st0rm.net/forum# file -bi config.php
                      text/x-php; charset=utf-8
                      usweb:/var/www/st0rm.net/forum# file -bi core/includes/config.php
                      text/x-php; charset=utf-8

If a staffer wants a shell account to debug this, just let me know. Need this fixed.

Comment

• Loco.M
                        • Mar 2005
                        • 3.5.x

I'm running into the same problem on my demo, I've checked the suggestions above.
                        I can login to admincp and then into the forums, but to just try and log on to the forums as a regular user, it's an endless loop.

Looking for any ideas, thanks.
                        -- Web Developer for hire
                        ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• Lynne
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • Oct 2004

Originally posted by St0rm
                          If a staffer wants a shell account to debug this, just let me know. Need this fixed.
                          If you put in a ticket "Attn: Lynne" with a link to this thread and admin u/p and ftp info, then I can look into this tomorrow.

Originally posted by Loco.M
                          I'm running into the same problem on my demo, I've checked the suggestions above.
                          I can login to admincp and then into the forums, but to just try and log on to the forums as a regular user, it's an endless loop.

Looking for any ideas, thanks.
                          Is this an upgrade, Brandon, where the user existed previously, or did you add a new user, do some stuff, logout, and now can't login again? (You really should start your own thread so we can respond just to your issue.)

Comment

• St0rm
                            • Nov 2007

If you put in a ticket "Attn: Lynne" with a link to this thread and admin u/p and ftp info, then I can look into this tomorrow.
                            Done.

Comment

• cobro
                              • Feb 2006
                              • 3.5.x

I am having the same problem ? what could be wrong here is there a fix for this anytime soon or do we have to get our money back ?

- - - Updated - - -

Is this an upgrade, Brandon, where the user existed previously, or did you add a new user, do some stuff, logout, and now can't login again? (You really should start your own thread so we can respond just to your issue.)
                              Why not just try to figure it out here so if there will ever be a solution to this problem then everyone can learn from this

Comment