• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SemperFideles
    • Oct 2006
    • 3.7.x

Upgrade Instructions - New Folder?!

A few things you need to tighten up:

1. The downloaded package for vBulletin 5 Connect Beta 11 has a readme file for upgrading vBulletin 4. You need to add a readme file for vBulletin 5.

2. Your Upgrade instructions are very confusing:

a. You instruct the user to upload all the files to a new folder (vb5) on the server.
    b. Perform the upgrade.

AND THEN?!

Are we supposed to have a forum with a new URL (i.e. http://www.yourforum.com/vb5) forever?

In other words, what are the instructions if we want to upgrade OVER our current vBulletin 4 site? I've already set up a test environment so I'm not worried about losing data but what is the process for performing an actual upgrade?
    Rich
  • wave-rice
    • Feb 2011
    • 5.5.x

You don't have to put the vBulletin 5 files in that particular directory, it's just an example.

If your forum is accessed by going to http://www.yourforum.com/ then simply delete the vBulletin 4 files from that directory and then copy the vBulletin 5 files in. You must delete the vBulletin 4 files to prevent conflicts.

In the config file in /core/includes you'll need to add your vBulletin 4 database details.

Finally, navigating to http://www.yourforum.com/core/install/upgrade.php to begin the upgrade process from vBulletin 4 to vBulletin 5.
    Aakif Nazir

Comment

• SemperFideles
      • Oct 2006
      • 3.7.x

What about attachments? If I've chosen to have attachments hosted by the server (vice database entries), what do I do with the attachments folder? If I leave it in place will vBulletin 5 recognize the attachments?
      Rich

Comment

• Lynne
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Oct 2004

Yes, leave them in the same place - make sure the path to the attachments is exactly what you have entered in admincp > attachments > attachment storage type. That path MUST be accurate. So, if you do move the site to a new directory, you need to update that path, if needed.

Furthermore - please, please, please make a backup of all your attachments/files/database prior to doing the upgrade.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
        vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
        Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
        If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• derbtek
          • May 2008
          • 3.7.x

Everything seems perfectly clear about upgrading... except for the database.

I'm assuming we keep the SAME database, and simply put the vb4 database information in the vb5 config file.... correct?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by spyderwin
            Everything seems perfectly clear about upgrading... except for the database.

I'm assuming we keep the SAME database, and simply put the vb4 database information in the vb5 config file.... correct?
            We don't recommend upgrading your live forums at this time. At the most you'll want to upgrade a copy of your database.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment