Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • imkk
    • Sep 2012

Internal Server Error on new install - every link from main page

Fresh install. Main page loads, but I get the below for anything I try to click on (login, FAQ, Blogs, Groups, etc.). Is the .htaccess file modified during install? I ahve tried the original upload file, the one in the DNR/rewrite folder, all with the same results. Thanks!
    Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
    Please contact the server administrator and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
    More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Apache Server at www.texasgunandoutdoor.com Port 80
  • simonhind
    • Jan 2007
    • 3.6.x

upload the .htaccess file that came with VB5 it should work 100%

Comment

• imkk
      • Sep 2012

I have tried all the .htaccess files that came with the download. All have the same results. Godaddy tells me that the permalinks need to be fixed in the .htaccess file. I don't know how to do that. Please help. Thanks!

Comment

• Yves R.
        vBulletin QA
        • Nov 2003
        • 5.6.X

The only valid .htaccess file is the one in /upload/. Those in /do_not_upload/ are not valid anymore.

vBulletin QA - vBulletin Support French - Lead Project Tools developer

Next release? Soon(tm)

Comment

• imkk
          • Sep 2012

I have now copied in the original one form the zip file upload folder to the root of my web server. Same results. Does the fact that my front page loads without errors indicate that my config.php files are correctly populated, or could my problems still lie there? Any link I click gives the above mentioned internal server error, and the

- - - Updated - - -

Further details: I get the 500 Internal Server Error for every link form the main page and also from /admincp/ I can, however get to the cut down cp by going to /core/admincp

Does this help you further troubleshoot?

Thanks!

Comment

• Kelley
            • Jun 2001

Check directory permissions, should be 755?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
              • Aug 2000

Make sure your core_path actually has /core at the end of it.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• SKSApps
                • Apr 2007

I'm having the exact same problem as this guy. I installed vb5 fresh. I even tried the config builder to see if that'd make a difference and it didn't.

I also tried setting 'everything' to 755, and that didnt work. What are the folders/files suppose to be set at 755 and 644?

Any other ideas?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  • Aug 2000

Are you certain that mod_rewrite is working on your server?

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• SKSApps
                    • Apr 2007

I have vb3 on the same server working just fine, if that makes a difference.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by SKSApps
                      I have vb3 on the same server working just fine, if that makes a difference.
                      vB3 doesn't use mod_rewrite.

The issues listed here are a result of the rewrite rules not working properly. URL Rewriting is required for vBulletin 5 and the server must support it via .htaccess or web.config. This pretty much limits the server configurations to Apache, Litespeed and IIS at this time. If your core_path variable is correct and you have the .htaccess file uploaded properly, then you need to contact your host to see what the actual error behind the 500 server error is. It can be a multitude of things. So much so that 500 Internal Server error is pretty worthless for diagnostic purposes.

Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• imkk
                        • Sep 2012

Is there any way for me to test if mod rewrite is actually turned on. Godaddy stated that it was on and the problem is with per slinks in the htaccess file. .???

- - - Updated - - -

Is there any way I can test to prove mod rewrite is on or off?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          • Aug 2000

I don't know what they mean by slinks... Unless they mean Symbolic Links which we aren't using.

Here is what our .htaccess files does...

1) it looks at the URL and checks to see if it is not a valid file.
                          2) it looks at the URL and checks to see if it is not a valid directory.

If both of those checks pass, it turns the string after the domain name into a "routing" string and passes that to index.php.

So for example if you go to www.example.com/blogs/ the Rewrite rules changes it to www.example.com/index.php?routestring=blogs

Then because /admincp/ is a valid directory, it will automatically forward anything to the admincp.

After it rewrites a URL then is should immediately stop. We use the QSA flag so if there is anything in the query already, we pass that along as well.

You would have to contact GoDaddy for a test on their servers to make sure everything is working correctly. If mod_rewrite were working properly though you vBulletin 5 Connect installation would work.

Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• imkk
                            • Sep 2012

Sorry for the typo. It was permalinks not slinks. Would you happen to know if most hosting providers automatically have mid rewrite turned on automatically? Thanks.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by imkk
                              Sorry for the typo. It was permalinks not slinks. Would you happen to know if most hosting providers automatically have mid rewrite turned on automatically? Thanks.
                              Most do.

GoDaddy seems to be the only hosting provider having a problem with the .htaccess file.

The entire point of mod_rewrite is to build permalinks by being able to rewrite one URL to another.

Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment