X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • woffie
    • Jan 2009
    • 4.0.x

Trouble installing AND upgrading

I am not one of the people that criticize what you guys do but version 5 is a hot mess. 2 config files? I have been doing forums for 12 + years. First I could not install the software, next I tried to upgrade my test forum thinking it would be easier, it upgraded it and now it is inaccessable. So, I tried again to do an install using the create config mod I downloaded. Still can't get this installed. There is some issue with the config files as for some reason they can't be read. Not sure what my options are now.
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

What are the specific errors you're running into? This is beta software and should not be run on production sites.

Comment

• woffie
      • Jan 2009
      • 4.0.x

After the upgrade on my vb4 test site I get this error message

Fatal error: Class 'vB' not found in /home/******/public_html/charismaticcentral/forumtest/includes/api/interface/collapsed.php on line 17

When trying to install a fresh install I get this error

Couldn't read config file config.php

- - - Updated - - -

I know not to update a live site, I have been doing this for quite awhile

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

The core path is incorrect in your /config.php.

See this thread for a script that will tell you the correct value:
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• woffie
          • Jan 2009
          • 4.0.x

Thanks Wayne. Gonna work on it tonight until I get it right.

Comment

• wave-rice
            • Feb 2011
            • 5.5.x

Let us know how you get on and if you run in to any other problems.
            Aakif Nazir

Comment

• woffie
              • Jan 2009
              • 4.0.x

I am getting this error

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/eaforums/public_html/evangelizeamerica.org/forumtest/core/includes/config.php:1) in /home/******/public_html/evangelizeamerica.org/forumtest/core/install/includes/class_upgrade_ajax.php on line 663

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/eaforums/public_html/evangelizeamerica.org/forumtest/core/includes/config.php:1) in /home/******/public_html/evangelizeamerica.org/forumtest/core/install/includes/class_upgrade_ajax.php on line 739

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/eaforums/public_html/evangelizeamerica.org/forumtest/core/includes/config.php:1) in /home/******/public_html/evangelizeamerica.org/forumtest/core/install/includes/class_upgrade_ajax.php on line 740

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

You have a UTF8 bom, or other character before the start of the config.php file, so before

<?php

Comment

• woffie
                  • Jan 2009
                  • 4.0.x

<?php
                  /*======================================================================*\
                  || #################################################################### ||
                  || # vBulletin Core Configuration # ||
                  || # ---------------------------------------------------------------- # ||
                  || # All PHP code in this file is ©2000-2012 vBulletin Solutions Inc. # ||
                  || # This file may not be redistributed in whole or significant part. # ||
                  || # ---------------- VBULLETIN IS NOT FREE SOFTWARE ---------------- # ||
                  || # http://www.vbulletin.com | http://www.vbulletin.com/license.html # ||
                  || #################################################################### ||
                  \*======================================================================*/
                  /*----------------------------------------------------------------------*\
                  | ****** NOTE REGARDING THE VARIABLES IN THIS FILE ****** |
                  +------------------------------------------------------------------------+
                  | If you get any errors while attempting to connect to MySQL, you will |
                  | need to email your webhost because we cannot tell you the correct |
                  | values for the variables in this file. |
                  | |
                  | When making changes to the file, the edit should always be to the |
                  | right of the = sign between the single quotes |
                  | Default: $config['admincpdir'] = 'admincp'; |
                  | Example: $config['admincpdir'] = 'myadmin'; GOOD! |
                  | Example: $config['myadmin'] = 'admincp'; BAD! |
                  \*----------------------------------------------------------------------*/

// ****** DATABASE TYPE ******
                  // This is the type of the database server on which your vBulletin database
                  // will be located. Valid options are mysql and mysqli, for slave support add
                  // _slave to the end of the database class.
                  // Try to use mysqli if you are using PHP 5 and MySQL 4.1+
                  $config['Database']['dbtype'] = 'mysql';
                  // ****** DATABASE NAME ******
                  // This is the name of the database where your vBulletin will be located.
                  // This must be created by your webhost.
                  This is one and the other is

<?php /*======================================================================*\ || #################################################################### || || # vBulletin 5 Presentation Configuration # || || # ---------------------------------------------------------------- # || || # All PHP code in this file is 2000-2012 vBulletin Solutions Inc. # || || # This file may not be redistributed in whole or significant part. # || || # ---------------- VBULLETIN IS NOT FREE SOFTWARE ---------------- # || || # http://www.vbulletin.com | http://www.vbulletin.com/license.html # || || #################################################################### || \*======================================================================*/ /*-------------------------------------------------------*\ | ****** NOTE REGARDING THE VARIABLES IN THIS FILE ****** | +---------------------------------------------------------+ | When making changes to the file, the edit should always | | be to the right of the = sign between the single quotes | | Default: $config['admincpdir'] = 'admincp'; | | Example: $config['admincpdir'] = 'myadmin'; GOOD! | | Example: $config['myadmin'] = 'admincp'; BAD! | \*-------------------------------------------------------*/ // ****** Base URLs ****** // The following settings all deal with the url of your forum. // If set incorrectly your site/software will not function correctly. // These urls should NOT include a trailing slash // This is the url and web path of your root vBulletin directory $config['baseurl'] = '
                  - - - Updated - - -

There are no characters before <?php

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    • Aug 2000

A BOM does appear on the screen. If you save these files as UTF-8, it places hidden characters in the file that will cause the errors you're seeing.

Looking at the file won't help unless you're using an Editor that shows hidden files like notepad++. Always make sure any file you edit is stored as ANSI or ASCII text.

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• woffie
                      • Jan 2009
                      • 4.0.x

Got it installed, now I am getting this error

Couldn't read config file config.php

I get that error when going to the mainpage or acp

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        • Aug 2000

What does the core_url line say in your /config.php file?

Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• woffie
                          • Jan 2009
                          • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                          What does the core_url line say in your /config.php file?
                          I don't see a line that is core_url but here are a couple

This is the url and web based path to your core directory
                          $config['baseurl_core'] = 'http://www.evangelizeamerica.org/forumtest/core';

// This setting is for where your vbulletin core folder is
                          $config['core_path'] = '/home/******/public_html/evangelizeamerica.org';

- - - Updated - - -

If something were wrong, it would not have installed though.

Comment

• Yves R.
                            vBulletin QA
                            • Nov 2003
                            • 5.6.X

Check for core_path. It missing the /core part at the end.

It seems it should be:

PHP Code:
                            $config['core_path'] = '/home/eaforums/public_html/evangelizeamerica.org/forumtest/core'

vBulletin QA - vBulletin Support French - Lead Project Tools developer

Next release? Soon(tm)

Comment

• woffie
                              • Jan 2009
                              • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Yves Rigaud

It seems it should be:

PHP Code:
                              $config['core_path'] = '/home/*****/public_html/evangelizeamerica.org/forumtest/core'
                              I will try that tonight

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Yves Rigaud

It seems it should be:

PHP Code:
                              $config['core_path'] = '/home/****/public_html/evangelizeamerica.org/forumtest/core'
                              Nope still have the same issue

Comment